IVA pass at Gillingham

Tony Bee

Well done! 

As above, tax is the easy part of the application process, as there’s only two rates for kits, they’re all considered PLG’s.

I'm just going through the process of registering a classic motorbike imported from the US with DVLA.

Although the registration process moved forward quite quickly, it seems that for some high value vehicles (including my BSA Goldstar) they have introduced an additional step which is a visit to your house / garage to verify chassis and engine numbers in person. This is despite me sending a BSA Owners Club dating certificate, photos of the frame / engine numbers, photos of the whole bike, rubbings of the frame / engine numbers and all the US title info and VOSA (import Tax) stuff - all of which showed the frame and engine numbers. 

To date this has taken an additional 3 weeks over and above the DVLA timings (home visits are contracted to a private company (probably owned by the Transport Minister)).   So don't expect a quick turn round! I applied mid March - inspector is coming to check numbers on Tuesday! 

Jim 

Unfortunately there seems to be a lot of "importers" that have sprung up over the last couple of years sending over a container of motorcycles from the USA.

I guess there have been some dodgy ones upsetting the system for everyone.....

From time to time over the years I’ve struggled to understand some of the rules and procedures DVLA/VOSA/DVSA etc have followed.....then I remember they have to try and deal with the criminal element!  Not being a crim, it never occurs to me that folk might lie about things like VIN etc. 

Just spoke to DVLA, about registration.  this is what I received.

Paper applications are likely to take between 6-8 weeks to process, but there may be additional delays in processing more complex transactions. There is no need to phone to chase up your application during this time as we are dealing with all paper applications as quickly as possible and in the order in which they are received. I can only advise that you wait the timescale mentioned above, if you do not receive any documents outside of the timescale mentioned please get back in touch with us.

Theyve been saying that for a while but kit registrations have still been going through much quicker. 🤞

2 hours ago, Mike424u said:

Just spoke to DVLA, about registration.  this is what I received.

Paper applications are likely to take between 6-8 weeks to process, but there may be additional delays in processing more complex transactions. There is no need to phone to chase up your application during this time as we are dealing with all paper applications as quickly as possible and in the order in which they are received. I can only advise that you wait the timescale mentioned above, if you do not receive any documents outside of the timescale mentioned please get back in touch with us.

Just been through this and it was alot easier than expected...took just over 1 week. Key was speaking to Danielle on 01792 786053 (after Steve on here gave me her number) she was awesome, so helpful. So I would send the pack to K and R then call her.

I did send my pack to K and R  but could not get through on the phone, will try again on monday

• 4 weeks later...

Part of the registration of kits in the 80's and 90's was a visit from the local stolen vehicles squad , I built three kits in that time and the same two policemen turned up each time. They had a look at paperwork from factory V5C for any donor cars, checked chassis numbers and engine numbers. then they had a cup of tea and talked cars . Talking to them i asked if they had found anything dodgy and they had found one stolen engine but the builder involved had exchanged his engine for a rebuilt engine from a rebuilder in south london . The rebuilder did not keep records of engines they took in for rebuilding so the trail went cold.

They reckoned they would find more stolen parts in "normal" cars than in kit cars 

• Like 1