Fibre Broadband change. Worth changing???

TableLeg

Must admit, I looked for somewhere with good broadband when I was moving, (work from home a lot, often removing in to clients systems, so it needs to be decent).

“My” cabinet is just the other side of the road from my front windows, the routers/modems connection details for mine, include line length. (Used to be nearly two km at my last place), here, it’s 52 metres!

14 minutes ago, Stuart said:

I can get the exact line length from some Openreach stats in my lengthy ticket threads with Plusnet. But from memory it is about 1.1km. And yes, it sometimes reduces the banding and hence the sync speed after lots of rain.  One time one of the engineers found a junction box up a pole full of water. Said he'd sorted it but who knows. Our cabinet is only 3 years old

As Craig mentions there does seem to be a lot of discrepancy with internet speed and location/cable length etc. The same reasoning would make a nonsense of any graph produced in support of a blanket set of parameters for speed over distance/cable length. It's an easy way to put customers off from pursuing the issue when an "official" document says otherwise. Yes, more cynicism...

Fundamentally if these things are made from equal equipment then there should be a way to diagnose the link and see if an issue can be discovered. Given that Plusnet are "doing something" when Sturart rings them, I would press them to identify and fix the cause instead of treat the symptoms...

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Dave Eastwood (Gadgetman) - Club Secretary said:

Must admit, I looked for somewhere with good broadband when I was moving, (work from home a lot, often removing in to clients systems, so it needs to be decent).

“My” cabinet is just the other side of the road from my front windows, the routers/modems connection details for mine, include line length. (Used to be nearly two km at my last place), here, it’s 52 metres!

Well if we're pulling broadband wheelies, I should have 1Gb fibre to my place in July. Should be a lot of fun speed testing that 😄 

• Haha 1