Driver passenger coms

Andy - a15cro

I know this is a topic that’s come up before as I had purchased a system, however it didn’t work out very well.

Anna is going to be with me at Blyton on the track day, and we will be doing a bit of family karting this year and she’s quite new so want to be able to give her some pointers while on track, so I want to get a new communication device and been looking at reviews, this one caught my eye but wondered if anyone else has got this version. You can add more units to it so my son and missus could all link up too.

https://www.chromeburner.com/gb/en/cardo-freecom-4-plus-duo-bluetooth-communication-kit

Im not familiar with that model but be careful if you want more than 2 people linked.

Some systems require you to press buttons for comms between more than 2, whereas the 2 people setup normally lets you use "open mike"

• Like 1

I have friends that swear by Cardo products whilst biking. They produce good gear. I looked at such things years ago. However, when I suggested  to my wife that we used one, she said she speaks with me enough, and enjoyed the peace when riding with me. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

That looks like a very expensive V6 intercom, same range, 4 riders etc.

A normal V6 can be bought off amazon, ebay etc for about £80 a pair.

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, RobH72 said:

That looks like a very expensive V6 intercom, same range, 4 riders etc.

A normal V6 can be bought off amazon, ebay etc for about £80 a pair.

It’s considerably more sophisticated. (As much as I love the V6 setup).

It offers, reading the (actually intelligible) instructions, a (slightly convoluted) four way simultaneous intercom option, or a simple 3 way simultaneous option.

The master headset, has two simultaneous Bluetooth channels connected to the other two headsets, in three way mode. So all three are in group communication. However, one of those other two headsets, can have another headset paired to it.

So in a group of four, master headset would initiate comms to 2 and 3, then 3 would add comms to 4!

Very neat. There are sets that will do it other ways, but the price jumps quite a bit.

What sounds interesting with this approach, is that if, say, headset 3 is linked to 4, then it also acts as a range extender, so lead rider/car to vehicle 4, could be closer to 2.4 km in open terrain!

(The best of the systems I’ve seen do this between every headset, forming a mesh network between the group, from first to last. But that was expensive technology, last time I looked, a few years ago.)

• Like 2

If using helmets then the Sena I use is great. I have a spare one you can try if you want (not been used for a while so covid safe) - you can test it via a mobile call or music to see if quality suits. 

• Like 1

My original ones are Climber C3, and I don’t like anything about them, difficult to set up, too difficult to operate pushing buttons, hence the reason why I’m doing a bit more due diligence this time. 

Yes, I noticed the ones you link to have voice control for basic functions.