A little Gem.... a life hack if you will

Nemesis

Today my old laptop a Sony Vaio I7 Quad core  got all upset, it seemed to be getting very hot and bothered, so I thought I'd strip it down to clean the cooling fan & heat-sink.... it's  a simple process and I've done it before, but it's been a while since I did it last.....

All went well, dust, fluff and all manner of rabbit & cat hairs, I was quite pleased with myself until I tried to remove the old heat transfer paste from the CPU, GPU and the underside of the cooler assembly, the paste that was on it should have wiped off.... but nooooooo it was like concrete, I tried to moisten it with a damp cloth, yeah right like that worked.... NOT.

I went off in a grumpy search for some switch cleaner / solvent / WD40...... now if any of you are like me and talk to yourselves whilst mooching about for stuff that you've 'put safe', you will know exactly how the 'expert opinion' creeps in...... with none of the aforementioned safely stored stuff coming readily to hand there formed on my lips the words errmmmm wait a minute, I wonder if Carb cleaner will shift it......

Well I've never seen anything like it, totally amazing, it didn't just shift it, it vapourised it..... I'm chuffed to bits, the Sage on the other hand is mightily p******** off at the pong de "DriveTec Carb Cleaner" it really is loitering in the house.... I probably should have gone to the shed to play !

Nem.........

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

Carb cleaner is good BUT be careful, it can melt plastics, so not good for cleaning everything. I made that mistake after I’d run out of Brake cleaner and assumed they were the same thing!

True, carb cleaner can be very aggressive! Have done the same thing in the distant past. Assumed it was like a slightly stronger brake cleaner. Poured some into a plastic beaker, so I could soak some small parts to clean them. And as I carried the beaker to the workbench, watched the bottom of it devolve away in front of my eyes; looked like alien blood disappearing through the deck of the Nostromo, it went through so fast!