Rear underbody protection

Kent Westfield

Kent Westfield

Gents,

I have started what feels like a job that is snowballing bigger and bigger.

I started by dismantling all the rear suspension, powder coat, new bushes etc and then rebuild. (Still waiting for the bits to come back from Westfield) I have taken the opportunity whilst waiting to replace the rear brakes and and also refresh the rear axle (and a new fuel pump as this is a good 14 years old).

My mindset is to future proof the car whilst I have it in pieces. 

In the process of cleaning up the rear chassis / frame I am horrified at the extent of delaminated powder coating on the frame: 

Whilst the nature of frame corrosion is superficial, it is extensive in terms of area effected. I simply cannot ignore it as it will develop I am sure into something terminal in years to come. 

In a way- it is a blessing in disguise as it gives me the opportunity to fix it. On the flip side- it is a $h!tty job to sort.

My plan is to scrape off loose powder coat, Kurust, Zinc Primer and then Stone chip spray. Will be fun with the body work and axle in place.

As I have no intention of repeating this process in my life time, I wanted to check with people if they have taken any steps to add a panel on the rear underside to prevent water and moisture penetrating the rear axle and frame.

I know fitting a diffuser has this indirect effect, but has anyone done something similar to their car ? 

Examples? Photos ? Specifically on a live axle car ( but also interested in independent suspension cars as well).

You can see from the photo the damage I am talking about. 

50E89C43-4559-4F70-884A-F5DB97048177.jpeg

BFD4F798-890D-49A4-857B-6EC3686273CA.jpeg

14B33D60-1234-440D-919D-B20F095FCC25.jpeg

A1D8E0A0-F783-415C-B52B-B47ECAF5EFC5.jpeg

D2C1234C-04C2-4BC5-88DE-0F24E68F8904.jpeg

AC71F956-12EA-401B-9660-CAAEADFDA9B2.jpeg

Hi,

I've only seen any form of plating fixed to a chassis once, it was placed by a previous owner to be a "chassis protecting jacking point". To be honest it wasn't good and I think it caused more harm than it was intended to prevent; water and dirt got trapped behind the plate causing more chassis damage and corrosion than if it had been left open.

Gary

• Like 1
SootySport

Only way todo it properly, is strip it down to the bare chassis and powder coat or paint it. It’s probably got to this stage by lack of use and being parked up.  I would repaint what you can see and use the car regularly.  Mine is 1997 car with some areas of surface rust,  parked when not in use in a dry garage and hasn’t got any rustier in 10 years of use.

Kent Westfield
8 hours ago, SootySport said:

Only way todo it properly, is strip it down to the bare chassis and powder coat or paint it. It’s probably got to this stage by lack of use and being parked up.  I would repaint what you can see and use the car regularly.  Mine is 1997 car with some areas of surface rust,  parked when not in use in a dry garage and hasn’t got any rustier in 10 years of use.

That is the current plan. I am working my through to repair the visible rust and it will live in the garage after. 
Trying to do the repair and painting with everything else still in place is a horrid job, but I guess easier then stripping the whole car back to the chassis .