Emissions on Megabusa

Pugsley

I`ve just taken on a wide bodied Megabusa thats been completed but not registered. I`ve looked through all the paperwork and found the SVA failure from 2007. Not too bad.

1, contactable edges at headlight mountings

2, Top seatbelt mountings. Provide evidence of adequate strength.

3, Noise in excess of 101 db.

4, Emissions out of limits.

My main concern is the emissions. It`s got a Gen 1 Hayabusa in it and I`m pretty sure theres no cat on it. 

Any idea if this is easily fixable ?

I work at a motorcycle dealer and have full access to the workshop spares department.

Chris King
24 minutes ago, Pugsley said:

pretty sure theres no cat on it. 

That’s the problem then. 

Chris King
25 minutes ago, Pugsley said:

Top seatbelt mountings. Provide evidence of adequate strength.

Never seen that one before!!!

Simon Waterfall Syman84
27 minutes ago, Pugsley said:

4, Emissions out of limits.

My main concern is the emissions. It`s got a Gen 1 Hayabusa in it and I`m pretty sure theres no cat on it. 

something like this will probably bring the emissions down.

https://www.tegiwaimports.com/tegiwa-universal-400-cel-catalytic-converter.html?gclid=CjwKCAjw6fCCBhBNEiwAem5SO732zLBf7Ij2skztMd7t3R8l8QWfEgsjyXw83x7Svt8ZwKAkKAQGSxoCSRUQAvD_BwE

i would also take a look at the IVA manual compared with SVA there may well be other parts that need changing to bring upto current expected standards

Jim RS
6 minutes ago, Chris King said:

Never seen that one before!!!

They asked me about the eye bolts stating that the strength wasn't stamped or cast on them and this had the same reference, I had to provide the manufacturers data at the second visit. Is this possibly what is being questioned? 

Dave Eastwood (Gadgetman) - Club Secretary
2 minutes ago, Simon Waterfall Syman84 said:

i would also take a look at the IVA manual compared with SVA there may well be other parts that need changing to bring upto current expected standards

Yep there is!

32 minutes ago, Pugsley said:

Top seatbelt mountings. Provide evidence of adequate strength.

Not seen that either, photos would help. Two things spring to mind:

1. it's got some kind of non standard harness attachment points/mountings, why? can the original Westfield points be used, possibly with matching harnesses.

2. In the picture it looked to have non-standard seats. it's possible that the holes the shoulder straps fit through are simply too high for a Westfield, and that in essence, the tester is treating those as the upper mounting point. A change of seat, even if only for the test would fix this. (Though that would worry me about the seats going forward.)

Emissions, I thought this might be the continuing issue across the fails, i don't know bike engines well enough, or what emissions standards you'd be tested too, (what is the provable year of engine build?) You may need to fit a cat, and/or something like a Power Commander.

2 minutes ago, Jim RS said:

They asked me about the eye bolts stating that the strength wasn't stamped or cast on them and this had the same reference, I had to provide the manufacturers data at the second visit. Is this possibly what is being questioned? 

Interesting, yes, obviously that's a possibility too. More normally, if it's a tester familiar with Westfields and they can see they look like the factory eyebolts, then they know they pass and don't question it.

Chris King
10 minutes ago, Dave Eastwood (Gadgetman) - Club Secretary said:

what is the provable year of engine build?

If it’s a busa, then it will be post 1999 so needs a cat. 

• Like 1
Pugsley

Thanks for all the quick replies guys. There is a receipt for the engine dated 2002 so engine must be 02 or earlier. I`m going to pop up to the workshop and have a chat with the mechanic about this engine.

• Like 1
1 minute ago, Chris King said:

If it’s a busa, then it will be post 1999 so needs a cat. 

Ta, as you say needs a cat at least.

Chris King

We need more photos. 

If you want to post more photos you will struggle as a free trial member. 

If you want to get a busa though IVA you would be foolish NOT to join the club as a paid member. 

• Like 1

If you literally photobomb the whole car from different angles, and post them up, you'll find loads of us will pore  over them, and try and spot anything know to be a fail, or problematic.

There are plenty of things that aren't obvious that have changed since it was last presented, like a crash bar to protect the fuel tank, the side repeater location, fog lamp operation and warning light, tether for the fuel tank cap and so on.

• 2 weeks later...
tex

If your car has the standard 5inch dia silencer can, take the can off, look down the inlet end you'll see the cat in the hole. If not fitted then it'll just be straight through. 

If it's fitted a power commander 5 will be needed too, get it mapped to how you want it to run sweetly, then save map. Retune it to pass emissions, save map. Switch between when needed. Or find friendly mot station 

tex

Just seen the picture of your car... See the discolouration on the front of the can? Cat is there... Heat discoloration