New here and interested in Scholar engined speed sport info.

Bungee

You're aware there were two engine specs, over the years? The first were done to a slightly higher performance spec, I seem to remember, while later ones weren't quite as high a spec. (Though still very good!)

1 hour ago, Bungee said:

I like originality

There is not such a thing in a kit car...

Maybe in a caterham and not even this... but for "originality" you are barking on the wrong tree.

Also... factory build cars have A LOT of stuff to improve, many cars were sorta kinda poorly build, and some of the models had significant design flaws on the powertrain integration...

You can aim for a "factory, period correct, look" if that is your thing... 

but I would take originality as a BIG down, specially for a 20years old kit car.

Everyone knows whay they like... indeed... but really, westfields are cars that dont have an "original standart" precisely they have "every single unit different" some looks and mods were more common than others, but almost nothing can be considered "factory speck" other than the bulky seats, and the terribly looking padded-iva approved steering wheels...

Bungee my late car was a Speedsport modular build first registered in 2000, 1.8 Silvertop zetec which was a Scholar motorsport engine, engine code started with SP and block was originally painted in a maroon colour, ported heads with Kent 1802 cams, ARP type bolts on Jenvey throttle bodies with a MBE 956E Ecu, reported to produce 170bhp, front and rear ARB, MT75 box and led, ducted nosecone

Hope this helps

Steve

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, Steve (stevel) said:

Bungee my late car was a Speedsport modular build first registered in 2000, 1.8 Silvertop zetec which was a Scholar motorsport engine, engine code started with SP and block was originally painted in a maroon colour, ported heads with Kent 1802 cams, ARP type bolts on Jenvey throttle bodies with a MBE 956E Ecu, reported to produce 170bhp, front and rear ARB, MT75 box and led, ducted nosecone

Hope this helps

Steve

This car has recently been rebuilt by @Paul Aspden The 2nd

See- 

Thanks Ian. Yes I've read the whole build diary. Theres lots of evidence there to confirm my other research of the most likely things to find to help me value the car I'm going to look at. Not till 29th though!

5 hours ago, Ian Kinder (Bagpuss) - Joint Peak District AO said:

This car has recently been rebuilt by @Paul Aspden The 2nd

See- 

AND ITS JUST GOT ITS IVA PASS CERT 1Hr ago

• Like 4

On 17/03/2021 at 14:01, Bungee said:

Well done and thankyou for sharing the build. Price please🤣?

Do you want a price for rebuilding the one you’re looking at?

3 hours ago, Bungee said:

It was tongue in cheek for the one you've just rebuilt😁 Fantastic job. 

Ha ok. Do you have a picture of this car you’re looking to rebuild so people can chip in an advise?

Some pointers and observations from my journey. 

1. If it’s got broken rear uprights for the  Sierra callipers they are quite hard to find. So get ready for changing to the newer style for golf callipers.

2. If any of the wishbones are bent in any way I would advise that you don’t try repairing and just replace.

3. If an insurance company have written it off higher than a CAT C you WILL have to replace the chassis as I did. This will then require a complete IVA test after you have rebuilt it. In fact I still think it will have to be put through a test if it’s been written off to a lower level but I may stand corrected on this.

4. Westfield did offer to supply me a new chassis on enquiry but I was very lucky to find a kit that hadn’t been built up yet.

5. Whilst everything is in bits replace bearings and seals where you can and make sure everything is supper clean so it looks like new. Purchase a decent paraffin washing station. 

6. If you need to rewire the car there other options than buying a loom from Westfield.

7. Don’t rush into it until you have done the maths. There is no point in going through the pain if you end up with a car that cost more to repair than buying better one that’s in full working order.

• Thanks 2

22 minutes ago, Paul Aspden The 2nd said:

an insurance company have written it off higher than a CAT C you WILL have to replace the chassis as I did. This will then require a complete IVA test after you have rebuilt it. In fact I still think it will have to be put through a test if it’s been written off to a lower level but I may stand corrected on this.

4. Westfield did offer to supply me a new chassis on enquiry but I was very lucky to find a kit that hadn’t been built up yet.

Not quite, unless the regs have changed. 

If the car is a right off and requires a new chassis the manufacturer is able to supply a new chassis with the same vin. This would then NOT require an iva. You don't even need a Vic check anymore as far as I gather. 

Indeed, again, unless regs have changed, my Sigma car was written off, but Westfield took the damaged chassis back, (and destroyed it) then issued a new one on the same VIN number. No IVA was required

1 hour ago, Paul Aspden The 2nd said:
1 hour ago, Paul Aspden The 2nd said:

Do you have a picture of this car you’re looking to rebuild so people can chip in an advise?

Hi Paul. It's complete, no rebuild needed persay. I'm not seeing it till the 29th so no pics shared unless I buy it. The waiting is a killer but covid rules etc.