Hood extrusion

Sean Walsh

Hi all,

Don’t suppose someone has a hood extrusion lurking that they don’t need?

Thanks

W

If you don't have any luck, I made my own. Most DIY shops will sell U channel plastic strip. Using a heatgun carefully, you can get this bend around the corners of the frame. Something like 80p per metre length.

Just an idea?..

Richard.

• Like 1

Hi,

Thanks - sounds like it’s worth a try.

Part of my problem is that I’ve never seen one - so not entirely sure what I’d be trying to make! 

Great if you have any pictures you could share?

Thx

W

1 minute ago, Sean Walsh - Devon and Somerset AO said:

Hi,

Thanks - sounds like it’s worth a try.

Part of my problem is that I’ve never seen one - so not entirely sure what I’d be trying to make! 

Great if you have any pictures you could share?

Thx

W

I didn't take any pics as I was making it, I can try and show you tomorrow if I take some pics with it fitted. To be fair I also made the soft top as well, so I already had the plastic bit done, then made the roof to suit. I don't think my photos will be of much help but it may just give you a rough idea of how it fits. Its basically no more than a U channel that fits over the straight bits of the frame then bent over the curves a few inches each side,, to which you fasten the soft top to. I'll add some pics tomorrow.

Richard.

Brilliant Thx v m

Buy you a pint when we can! 
😃

• Thanks 1

As I said last night, I am not sure these will be of much help, but here is what mine looks like. To be honest, it's 10 years old now and isn't looking as good as it once did but it hasn't failed on me yet. I know the factory don't use over centre clips for the front fastening, but I just wanted a quicker and easier way of attaching the front rail to the car. I should point out, that my windscreen surround isn't a WF item either.

I did manage to have a root through my scrap pile and find one of the plastic U channels I practiced with, all covered in grime now but this is what is underneath the soft top fabric, glued to rail with very strong contact adhesive.

A heatgun on a low setting is what I used to form the bend in it, had a few goes at this before I got it right, hence the scrap piece.

Richard.

h1.jpg

h2.jpg

h3.jpg

h4.jpg

Thanks for taking the time to post the pics - v helpful.

I owe you a pint!

Thx

W

36 minutes ago, Sean Walsh - Devon and Somerset AO said:

Thanks for taking the time to post the pics - v helpful.

I owe you a pint!

Thx

W

No worries Sean, if you do decide to make one, perhaps you could take pics of the process incase anyone else wants to do the same. I didn't have a digital camera in the days I did mine.

@Sean Walsh - Devon and Somerset AO Sun was out, so aired my hood today. Couple of photos of hood extrusion as fitted to my SBFS hood. The extrusion sits in a “long pocket” formed by a slit in tape sewn onto the inside of the front edge. Leading edge of the extrusion is then glued (presumably both sides) into the pocket if that makes any sense,

Inside of front of hood:

E1042000-488C-4B91-BE36-BECD3C019CEF.thumb.jpeg.0744aa8f822fe41045a5b81e118a164f.jpeg

Passenger side end of extrusion at end of “pocket”

B7ED3CAD-16A3-4C86-A0EC-D212B56EC1E0.thumb.jpeg.417d289a1135172cf4118989bda5a90e.jpeg

Interesting to look at the construction in detail, hadn’t had a good look at it before, just used it!

Hope this helps.

Hi Adge,

Thanks - that’s really helpful.

Given I got my car last May, I’ve not had a chance to meet anyone and ask to have a look!

Really helpful!

Thx

W

• Like 1

Important Information

Please review our Terms of Use, Guidelines and Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.