Training to be a sound engineer? Wind noise?

HB46443

Sound engineer in the making? I wanted to remove the wind noise. Practicing in readiness for the Spring days out. Microphone under the dash just behind the gear Knob. Listen towards the end I think I hear birds as I drive down the street.

Unless you watch it on Youtube you don't get to see your your comment.

Sounds good to me though.

Thank you.  Tomorrow, I hope to add some Video too.  Need to get my hair done. 😉

1 minute ago, HB46443 said:

Thank you.  Tomorrow, I hope to add some Video too.  Need to get my hair done. 😉

Can you get mine done while you're there 😊

• Like 1

Hello all,

As mentioned previously, here is the Video.  Sadly Not greatest picture quality as I reduce this for fear of YouTube restrictions.

Still I am learning slowly, now understanding the basics of the program I am using.

All the best Hedley. 

• Like 2

That is a great Vid Hedley, and I don't think it's long at all - if anything too short but then I love watching 7 vids. I had my camera in the spot you have it , that is if it was mounted to the roll over bar. I used to get huge vibration but yours seems rock solid. You had a cracking day for it as well.

Keep it up and lockdown will over one day so we can all have happy days.

Richard.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I used the Bosch laser level bracket. This did give a little unwanted noise. So I bought a separate mic for under the dashboard. 

lots to explore when we are all out and about. 

My niece and nephew believe I am a YouTube star!

HB

Edited by HB46443
Correction

In fairness my camera was not the best, it was quite a while ago now and was one of the first range in the 'pencil' type ones. I had to modify it a bit and extend the mic to about where yours is. But the shaking was quite bad.

I have the footage here, but erm, well it does not look good being posted as I found a motorbike to well erm race...

Yes I have experienced several wanting to see what I have whilst on the road. 

resisted mostly...

Yeah, you have be sure that whatever you post is all above board and legal , it has been known that many folks have been traced  by YT vids and prosecuted. The trouble with a video being watched by others is that, the viewer can not see what the driver of the car does, so to the viewer it looks like you took a huge risk, when in reality there was plenty of room and i know how the car behaves. Just be careful what you post an edit out any dodgy bits and you will be fine.

A wind sock for the mic can help give more mounting options, (they're the fluffy covers that look like a Gerbil!)

As above, always worth checking through exactly what is visible on a clip when editing! Things like an incriminating speedometer sometimes creep in there!

In addition to under the dash, under a (soft) tonneau cover or similar in the boot box, on a ZK bodied car can also work well, by varying how close to the left or right side of the car you are, you can also, to some extent, vary the balance between induction and exhaust noise.

Excellent work though, keep it up. Thankfully we don't all have the attention span of a gnats todger.

Though concise editing within a video does work well.

• Like 1

I think it's fun making westfield videos.  I've only every posted one or two but have over 2TB worth on my home PC.

It got to the stage that I'd video every run out a couple of years back but in the last year before lockdown I started leaving the go-pro at home for some reason.  As soon as we're allowed out I think I'll start videoing again.

I've never had much luck with sound though, so gave up trying.  Maybe I'm just too tight to buy a decent MIke but I soon got into the habit of putting some music over the odd videos that I liked.

Wise words about reviewing your (potentially incriminating) footage before posting.  I have seen a few ones that clearly show excessive speed on youtube, mainly bikes I must admit and it does seem to be asking for trouble.

Looking forward to your next movie.

3 minutes ago, CraigHew said:

putting some music over the odd videos that I liked.

Funny you mention that Craig, I was going to put some of my old hillclimb stuff up on YT, back then at the time of editing I added music over the top, you can still hear the car but the music is still audible. I did try this some time ago and the video got pulled due to music copyright !!, which leaves me with loads of footage and no where to upload it to 🤣

I think Youtube say you can't monetise any video that contains copyrighted music but the few I've posted (with music) were fine...?

• Thanks 1