To V or not to V (V55/4 or /5?)

corsechris

So, armed with a shiny new IVA certificate I thought I'd get the ball rolling on registration. I wrote to DVSA back in 2018 to get a VIN, and they replied with that, plus a bunch of forms I didn't pay much attention to. Until now.

They sent me the V55/5....but shouldn't I be using the V55/4?? The DVLA website suggests I should.

The car has many used parts in it, so I won't be getting a new registration, Q is fine by me, but I don't want to stall things by using the wrong form. V55/5 just seems wrong.

I'll need a new form regardless though, as the one I have is way out of date I think, it has a 12/16 date code and looks very different to the current one showing online. I also have another V55/5 and a V55/4 I picked up somewhere previously with 7/14 date codes.

I've fired off an email to K&R and hopefully they'll get back reasonably quickly but I'd welcome input from the collective too.

V55/5 is for used vehicles such as imports or classics being put back on the road.  

V55/4 is the one you need as you’re registering a new* vehicle for the first time.  

*note the car is still new even if the parts it’s built from may not be. The registration letter it gets depends on how you complete the V627 form.

Thanks chaps, confirms my thoughts too. No idea why they sent the me V55/5 last time....

Anyone used a downloaded copy or will I need to get them to send me one?  I'm guessing originals only TBH.

Thanks Steve, that should speed things along.

Just had a reply from DVLA and they confirm I should use the 55/5 given I have ‘used’ major components in the car. They also said it wouldn’t be a problem if I used the 55/4 and they wouldn’t reject the application.

I’ll use the 55/5 then as that’s clearly what they want!

• Like 3

• 4 weeks later...

A final note on this in case it helps anyone. The V55/5 was the right form for me to use in my case, where I was using an old engine, gearbox etc. and the only new bit was the chassis and a few accessories like wheels, brakes etc.

One thing I’d been wondering about was the two donor cars I’d used. I’d registered them in my name and SORNed them as soon as I got them, and went to some pains to photographically (with metadata) log their disposal in a proper manner, just in case. On the form, where it asked how the unused parts had been disposed of I just put down what I’d done, separated the parts according to material type and disposed at the local recycling centre. I’d been slightly concerned about this as disposal is supposed to be done by ‘professionals’. Anyhoo, that seems to have been acceptable as when I checked the donor car registrations online they both show as non-existant where previously they'd shown as SORN.

I had tried to get a couple of local tat merchants to take them but they didn’t want to know as soon as they found out both had been stripped.

Probably not that relevant to many Westfield builds I guess, but I thought I’d mention it anyway. 

• Like 2

Sorry for jumping in, my question regarding the application of V55/4

I have my IVA certificate, which I send in the original with the V55/4 form, fill out what is relevant.

See attached from  Westfield which is bit out of date, but nothing major. 

I'm Waiting for Westfield to send through my certificate of newness. send in a copy.

How do you work out the fee to pay ? or do you not send in a payment at this point ?

Do I need to Insure it and send that in as well.

Very confusing

Thanks

Mike

V55 page 1.PNG

V55 page 2.PNG

V55 page 3.PNG

The first registration fee is £55

https://www.gov.uk/vehicle-registration/new-registrations-fee

and the RFL can be found on the DLVA website, you are looking for the rates for PLG. They are in two bands, less than 1549cc and more than 1549cc

Rates changed 1st April so do check the latest tables. https://www.gov.uk/vehicle-tax-rate-tables/rates-for-cars-and-light-goods-vehicles-registered-before-1-march-2001

Looks like it went up £10 

Include a cheque for the RFL + first registration fee. There are guidance forms on the DVLA website too, if needed.

As for insurance, I already had mine covered so just sent a copy of the certificate, although it was insured on VIN of course. 

1 hour ago, corsechris said:

The first registration fee is £55

https://www.gov.uk/vehicle-registration/new-registrations-fee

and the RFL can be found on the DLVA website, you are looking for the rates for PLG. They are in two bands, less than 1549cc and more than 1549cc

Rates changed 1st April so do check the latest tables. https://www.gov.uk/vehicle-tax-rate-tables/rates-for-cars-and-light-goods-vehicles-registered-before-1-march-2001

Looks like it went up £10 

Include a cheque for the RFL + first registration fee. There are guidance forms on the DVLA website too, if needed.

As for insurance, I already had mine covered so just sent a copy of the certificate, although it was insured on VIN of course. 

Many thanks

Do I still need to use V627   as advised by others in the past, or does the V55/4 cover it now.

26 minutes ago, Mike424u said:

Do I still need to use V627   as advised by others in the past, or does the V55/4 cover it now.

Yep, V627 is an essential part of the package for registering a kit. It’s this form that defines whether you qualify for age related, new or Q registration.