Tyres for Road Going 13"

istinton

Hi All,

What tyres should I use for Road Going, is it list 1b or list 1a and what would people recommend on 13" wheels, my current tyres are 20 years old.

You want to go for list 1B tyres; the tried and tested ‘models’ are:

Avon ZZS

Nankang AR1

Toyo R888

There are others in the list in the Blue Book, but I’m not sure how they have performed on Westfields.

In the hope that they will get some use I've just bought a set of Nankang AR1 from Demon Tweeks so I can compete in the Speed Series road going class.

But I was disconcerted to see that they are not directional, one tyre will run forward and the other backward, see the photo of my front wheels before fitting them to the car.

DT say this is correct, can someone confirm please?

20210301_142954.jpg

• Like 1

Me? None of the above.

I do have a set of extreme 205/60’s on crx rims available in R5 compound if anyone’s interested, they’ve done about 8 laps round Caldwell so as new but, there’s always a but there is a grove cut in 2 of them where front cycle wing retaining bolt as rubbed, they are new carcas not moulded onto used ones.

• 4 weeks later...

I have run AR1's for 2 years. A great tyre. But what I have found for sprinting and hillclimbs is that they do not heat up quick enough. 

A great tyre for track days and spirited road driving.  I found them hard work at sprints as just as they were coming into the zone the run was over. I couldn't compete with the avon zzr runners over the first 1.5 miles. 

But that said a great tyre when they get warm . 

I think Avon ZZS is now available in a soft compound ?

Make sure it is a list 1B tyre and not 1C or it won't be ok for Road Going sprint/hillclimb classes

On 29/03/2021 at 20:33, Terry Everall - WSCC Competition Secretary said:

I think Avon ZZS is now available in a soft compound ?

Not sure how soft they are Terry but the treadware is 220

22 minutes ago, S2T said:

Not sure how soft they are Terry but the treadware is 220

🤔😮😮220 wow Ar1 is now 100 was 80.