Rear suspension measurements help!

DIY-Si

DIY-Si

Any chance someone could put a tape measure to their XI for me? I could do with knowing, as accurately as you can, the distance between the rear edge of the trailing arm plate (the bent one) to the centerline of the axle.

Thanks!

Morris
18 hours ago, DIY-Si said:

Any chance someone could put a tape measure to their XI for me? I could do with knowing, as accurately as you can, the distance between the rear edge of the trailing arm plate (the bent one) to the centerline of the axle

@DIY-Si Is this the measurement you are after? If so it is 250 mm (using my un-calibrated steel rule!).

IMG_20210227_101253.thumb.jpg.180dc011f42557b5cb6d86e115ee5739.jpg

IMG_20210227_101307.thumb.jpg.388b3c6026eea10ece3b35a3183ef1c6.jpg

• Like 1
Morris
18 hours ago, DIY-Si said:

Any chance someone could put a tape measure to their XI for me? I could do with knowing, as accurately as you can, the distance between the rear edge of the trailing arm plate (the bent one) to the centerline of the axle

@DIY-Si Happy to do a WhatsApp video call if it'll help for seeing more detail?

Morris.

DIY-Si

@Morris, that looks just about perfect. Thanks. I may take you up on the offer of a call once I need some more details, but that is the main one I need for now. 👍

• Like 1
  • 1 month later...
DIY-Si

It turns out that Google isn't being very helpful today. Could anyone with their XI in the air be so kind as to measure the back axle for me? I need the distance from wheel mounting face to wheel mounting face. Anything within a couple of mm will suffice, so no need to be super accurate. Google is suggesting a few different measurements, and they vary by too much for me to take an aggregate figure.

Morris

@DIY-SiI'm physically in work tomorrow so I won't get the opportunity to measure until the early evening if it can wait until then. Otherwise I'm sure one of the others will be able to sneak into their garage during the day 😁.

Morris.

DIY-Si

Morris,

Any time will do, as I don't need to know for sure for a few days yet. Not until I start setting out for my axle ends. 👍

• Like 1
Morris

Tomorrow now. Realised the rear wheels need to come off to make the measurement and it was getting too dark to see.

Will be a good opportunity through to fettle the rear moulding as it contacts one of the rear tyres when I open or close the clam...

Morris

@DIY-Si Simon, I've taken measurements - hopefully self explanatory...

Basic configuration:

IMG_20210409_170040.thumb.jpg.606eb236b103a7ed8ea295883a5b0fd0.jpg

From one wheel mating surface:

IMG_20210409_165917.thumb.jpg.a62053472de8907cb01f836248a00597.jpg

To the other wheel mating surface:

IMG_20210409_170356.thumb.jpg.d2534bdc1e376308c6d16084873eee96.jpg

The distance between the two wheel mating surfaces is 1194 mm (+/- 2 mm).

Let me know if my method needs clarifying.

Cheers.

Morris.

• Thanks 1
DIY-Si

@Morris,thats perfect! Pretty much bob on at 47", which was one of the options I was hoping for.

• Like 1