Non-race Nat A?

Richard (OldStager)

Hi all,

Is it possible to get my old National A licence (non-race) back without having to start again with a Nat B?.

I haven't competed for 20 years now and wondered if this is possible or not.

Richard.

Call Motorsport UK and ask. I would just give your licence number when asking and ask what grade it is if you renewed. BTW - the grades have changed to RS inter club ( old nat B) and RS clublman (old nat A) now

Thank you both, I didn't think it would be as easy as I had hoped. I don't recall the licence number either, I will give them a call and see as suggested.

Thanks

Richard

21 minutes ago, OldStager said:

Thank you both, I didn't think it would be as easy as I had hoped. I don't recall the licence number either, I will give them a call and see as suggested.

Thanks

Richard

It may be different now but back in the early 90s I had a Nat A license as my first license type when upgrades weren't required and never actually used it. Some years later I started competing with a Nat B license and then wanted a Nat A without having gained upgrade signatures. I called the MSA and they said as i had aleady had a Nat A at some point in the past I was OK to upgrade with no problem. This could still be the case for you if you try calling

Thanks John, actually that was the reason I posted , as I too seemed to recall that if you had held a Nat A in the past you could re-apply for it, but wasn't sure if I had just dreamed that, seems a lot has changed the motorsport world over the decades, was called the RACMSA in 1999 for starters. I'm am guessing my old overalls would cut it these days either - shame as I still fit in them 😂

a few people I race with have let there's lapse and have been reinstated no problem

39 minutes ago, cast iron said:

a few people I race with have let there's lapse and have been reinstated no problem

That's encouraging, here's hoping then.

Just trying to get all my ducks to line up and see if my proposed 'return' actually is feasible , should be but finances are very tight. I was young (ish) free and single back then , houses, bills and taxes have got in the way somewhat these days.

ETA

Just fired off an email to motorsportuk.org, see what they say.

ETA2

Just been looking at their website and found the following

RS Licence Retention How to Retain a Licence16.1.1.A competitor who has ever held a Speed International,Speed National, Speed National ‘A’ or Speed National ‘A’ (OPEN)licence. may renew it for the equivalent or a lower grade oflicence in 2021

So it looks like it may be possible afterall...

There is quite a difference in price between RS Interclub and RS National which are the ones to consider. If you dont need the RS National for your car class RS Interclub is fine at £69 if I remember correctly

Thanks Terry,

There is a thread running on here regarding what clubs the WSCC are affiliated to I must go and see what is being said.

Back in the day I had a Nat B and rallied and sprinted on that, just being a member of Wallasey Motor Club within the ANWCC group of clubs, once a Nat A was gained I needed to join Hagley and District as that was the only way to do events like Shelsley or Prescott. I would want to go back to the events I once did so not really sure anymore which class of licence I would need. Seems quite complicated from the way it used to be.

Yay...  Motorsport UK are on the ball..

They just replied to my email

Dear Richard,

Many thanks for sending me confirmation. You are able to reobtain your Speed National ‘A’ without starting at National ‘B’ again.

To do so you will need to complete and return the attached 2021 Competition Licence Application Form. Please note, the Speed National ‘A’ is now known as RS National.

If you should need any further assistance please do not hesitate to contact me.

Kind regards,

Great news, that's one duck in line, see if the rest will line up...

Chuffed to bits here..

ETA

I haven't held a licence since 2002, so glad I don't have to go back to signature gaining.

• Like 5

I had an inkling they might. Good news for you

• Thanks 1

Thats good news Richard and I look forward to seeing you enter the speed series ( 3 weeks left to do it )

24 minutes ago, Terry Everall - WSCC Competition Secretary said:

Thats good news Richard and I look forward to seeing you enter the speed series ( 3 weeks left to do it )

I can't see it being this year ( all part of the ducks lining up bit) , I need a car to compete with, tow car and a trailer yet, together with all the latest safety gear, my old helmet looks quite rough now and my overalls would not meet spec I would not have thought these days. Here's to the future anyway, got one hurdle out of the way today at least.

ETA. Do drivers of Westys have to wear a HANS device, or is that just single seaters?, I probably would anyway, but sure I read about open cars and the HANS.

2 hours ago, OldStager said:

Yay...  Motorsport UK are on the ball..

They just replied to my email

Great news, that's one duck in line, see if the rest will line up...

Chuffed to bits here..

ETA

I haven't held a licence since 2002, so glad I don't have to go back to signature gaining.

Good news! But weird that you got a different response to me when I asked the same question a month ago!