Devon & Somerset - it's a thing!

Sean Walsh

Hi all,

The big news of the day is that it's official - we have a Devon & Somerset Area!

I think that we should get a mention in the next edition of the magazine and we also now have an area email address:

devonsomerset@wscc.co.uk

With the glimmer of hope around Covid and restrictions easing,  I hope that it won't be long before we can schedule in a drive out.

There is also the Haynes Breakfast club meet (prior thread in the forum) scheduled for 4th April which could be fun - givem a bit of decent weather.

I look forward to meet some of you over the coming weeks and months - and as always - very open to suggestions and ideas on stuff we can plan in.

Thanks,

W

• Like 2

Well done Sean, thanks for stepping forward!

• 2 months later...

Glad to see we have a group for our area, thanks for rising to the challenge.  I am based down in Brixham Devon, so probably about as close to you as the folks in Dorset, always happy to tag along to any events, so feel free to keep me posted.    There was talk of a run to a motor show in Lynton / Lynmouth 13 Jun 2021 is that still on the cards ?    I am doing a Track day at Castle Coombe Friday July 23rd 2021 , in case anybody else in this neck of the woods is thinking of going along.   Hope I don't spin at Quarry like last year in the 160.

Hi,

Sadly the Lynton show has been cancelled which is a shame.

W

Dear Somerset Westies (and any others). I've got a rough plan for an afternoon drive for Wednesday 3rd June, ending up at the Dorset monthly meet near West Bay.

Plan A: We'll meet in Watergore (plenty of parking / turning at my house: Highridge, TA13 5JQ) planning to leave about 1530 ish.

We'll then follow the route below (which looks to be about 97 miles / 3 hours driving) add in a coffee @ cake stop and a refuel and we should end up near West Bay in time for the 2000 start (if we're early we can go to Weymouth and back on the coast road). 

Happy for anyone to join us en route - though timings will be a bit loose. Let me know where you want to meet (somewhere mid way with coffee would be ideal) and I'll try to work out a time we'll be there.

It is forecast to be sunny and 19 degrees so no furry hats and ear warmers needed.

Jim    

image.png.d240da9120ca6728121613e199cd28dd.png

• Like 2

Hi Jim

Sounds like a great plan to me and thanks for sorting!

I prob can't join for the whole route but will plan to join somewhere near Taunton / Bishops Lydeard and stay for as long as I can.

Let me know on timings etc?

Thx

W

Hi Sean,

If we leave on time I reckon we'll be through Wellington by about 1610: could tweak the route a bit and meet you at the Cross Keys pub just outside Norton Fitzwarren about 1630 if that suits - and we'd then miss the speed humps in Oake and Cotford St Luke. 😀

If that's no good let me know and we'll find somewhere closer to the vast metropolis of Minehead.

Jim 

I may try and join part way depending how my plans for the day turn out, what time would you estimate being near honiton? failing that I may head straight to west bay.

Good morning, apart from today’s run (which unfortunately I’m working) is there an area meet planned?

I’m in Exeter. Cheers, Nick

Hi SkySurfer, Little difficult to predict accurately but I reckon it would be about 1830 /1845 ish.

I'll PM you my mobile number and we can give you a more accurate time about 1800 ish of you want to join us. 

Jim 

2 hours ago, Grumus said:

Good morning, apart from today’s run (which unfortunately I’m working) is there an area meet planned?

I’m in Exeter. Cheers, Nick

Morning!

I picked up the area organiser role during Covid, so we’ve struggled a bit.

Somerset & Devon is a big old area but I plan to schedule some drive outs etc that try to cover the ground.

I’ll post next week with some ideas.

Thx

W

Can I join the route as you turn off by Eagle Tavern please? If you can let me know roughly what time I’ll be waiting for you.

Thanks. Martin 

Martin,

Have replied via Whatsapp group.

Think we'll be turning off the 303 up past The Eagle about 1550 all being well. If we're late leaving mine I'll update via WhatsApp. If you could wait on the road at side of pub (pointing towards Wellington) rather than in car park it'll save trying to pull back onto the 303 for a gaggle of Westies. Just join in a gap or tag on at the back. We'll be stopping in Wellington to meet Sean so can do Hellos there.

Jim   

9 hours ago, Somerset Jim said:

Hi SkySurfer, Little difficult to predict accurately but I reckon it would be about 1830 /1845 ish.

I'll PM you my mobile number and we can give you a more accurate time about 1800 ish of you want to join us. 

Jim 

Hi Jim, Great I will contact you by phone.

Andy.