Back to normality

John Williams (Panda) - Joint Manchester AO

Evening,

Sorry for the absence, work has been long and hard trying to keep people working from home, and dealing with peoples mental state (especially my own).

so here is the funny.

i have been offered the CV19 vaccination for Friday, when asking why a 46 year old has been offered it, they told me its for a pre existing heart condition.

what the devil pre existing heart condition? so i ask to speak to someone over this and they say they can't and a doc needs to call me , turns out i had a suspected heart mumor when i was 6 years old, now not a problem, but hey ho. i'm now on  the list. (and its led to conversation with my mum about a time i went to great ormond street, which i had no clue about.)

i have to say my mental health over all this has been pretty f*****, i'm a sociable animal and having minimal integrations with adults and totally focused on keeping a small business running during this has been tough.

so here is my covid resolution:-

1)  get active walk/cycle every week.... i need to fit in the race suit.

2) get the westy out and drive the b*****r, it makes me smile, it makes others smile and goodness me its a paper weight if I don't.

3) get socialable. I've missed you all.

4) hug my mum & dad, I've missed them and I'm lucky that we have all made it through this.

5) volunteering - its away of giving back and saying thank you.

i count my blessings for working with a wonderful team, have a family that puts up with me, and volunteering has helped me through dark spell.

so see you at a Manchester meet or the paddock at Blyton I've missed you all!

cheers

Panda

• Like 8

Sometimes its shocking what you find in your past.

Take the vaccination, because at some point society will force you to have it.

If you have got your physical health all is good (not covid)

Early results suggest the vaccine is very effective, easily matching testing results with very few adverse reactions in line with any other medication.

The key here is take-up. There has been plenty of noise from the anti-vaxxer brigade and some... lets call it bravado... from those who are simply (and usually irrationally) anti-authority. And it seems to me that those anti-vax/anti-authority people are the ones who shout loudest for a return to normality without really understanding that they are part of the problem going forwards, and not part of the solution.

11 hours ago, Blatman said:

Early results suggest the vaccine is very effective

Possibly even a slight understatement there, prelim. figures from Scotland today show that only 58 out 8000 hospitalised patients were people that had been vaccinated >4 weeks ago.   

The case I make to my anti-vax friends is that we trusted in Science, Medicine, Engineering and Law for 200 years, during which life expectancy went from 40 years to about 80 years. Life expectancy in the Anti-Science, Anti-medicine group will inevitably regress, but it does look as though that regression will be mostly limited to them. 

Also interesting that our French and German friends are turning their back on the Oxford jab after their leaders criticised it, but the same data from Scotland shows the Oxford jab to be more effective at preventing hospitalisations,  94% vs 85%. 

I shall leave it there, not to digress too much from discussion of funny little things with wheels and engines 😀

• Like 2

Hi John, glad to hear that you are feeling better. I look forward to seeing about later this year.

• Like 1

Thanks for your frank and open post above @John Panda Williams. Really good to hear you're heading in the right direction! Well done you!

My bad...

Panda, good to hear you're back amongst us.

Friend of mine had a previously unknown genetic condition revealed at age 50. It was quite a shock and having seen the difficulty it caused the impact of these things, especially magnified by the current Covid-19 situation, can be very significant. It's good to hear your chin is up and I have no doubt we'll all be out and about again soon and not just on the balcony...

Hmmm, looks like the stay at home / non-essential travel ban is going to be in place until March 29th

Doubtful that I'm going to tax the Westfield in a weeks time then   :down: