4 Point harness mounting

Badger56

Hi All, I have 4 point harnesses which I fitted as an "upgrade" over recoil belts, road use only although I may do a track day when we get chance. I find the belts tend to ride up and I've experimented with fit etc but still not really happy with them, the bottoms are mounted on the front most captive nuts to get the angle as close to 90 degrees as poss, seats are standard Westfield with no belt holes.   Anyone have any thoughts or suggestions?

When you belt up, do you put the lap belts on first and get them really really tight, to the point of almost hurting?

I do that first then clip in the shoulder belts and pull them down to the same tightness too.

Nothing tends to move after that although I have got Scroth ASM belts

Most people that haven’t used them before do tend to u detest I ate how tight full harnesses should be, to work correctly (in an accident), and to not move around on the body.

That said, (trying to put it delicately) the combination of the seat angles on a Westfield, and ahem, some people’s body shape, (been there myself), makes it difficult to stop them riding up, without the use of crotch strap(s), to turn it into a five or six point harness.

Harness design/style can play a part, too. I find harnesses with 3” lap belts no good for me at all, as they ride up regardless of what I do, whereas correctly tightened 2” are ok.

(I have Schroth, with 3” shoulder straps, 2” lap straps.)

Thanks both, sounds like I need to get the belt tighter than I have been doing, that and lose a few pounds :-) cheers.