Bob's Special Edition FW Build, Feb 2021 on...

BobMet

Here goes then, my kit car build number 3.5, and my first attempt at an online build diary. Thought it would be a nice way to record the process for my own satisfaction at least. Being a fairly standard build I doubt there'll be anything particularly enlightening that hasn't been covered here before. But this is a great club and the mutual help within the forum is a fantastic resource that's helped me out several times in the past and will almost certainly do so again during this build. And if recording my experiences help others as well, then even better.

Build 3.5? Firstly a Dutton Phaeton S4 in the mid-1980s, then a Banham X99 in the mid '90s (not a good kit and as it wasn't going to meet the standards I was after I moved it on part-built), then most recently a Westfield Mazda SDV about 10 years ago, now owned by one of our fellow members. And in between a couple of motorcycle rebuilds, namely a 1979 Moto Guzzi V50 and over the last few years "civilianising" an ex-Italian police Guzzi 850 T5.

The Mazda SDV was a great car and my wife and I covered plenty of miles continental touring, the plan being much the same with the new build. What's the spec, I hear you ask?

• Standard 150 BHP 2 litre Zetec
  • Wide track front suspension
  • LED lights all round
  • Sport Turbo seats
  • Heater
  • Carbon effect rear wing covers
  • Westfield brake calipers
  • Contoured dash
  • 4-point harnesses
  • Electric blue with black/blue trim
  • Hood and sidescreens

...and for when its finished a tailored cover to keep it warm in the garage!

We picked up the kit today, sans body and trim which I'll arrange later. There's a shortage of Team Dynamics wheels so they will follow later; not a big deal as it'll be a few weeks before I can make a proper start on the build. The garage floor tiles I'm after won't be ready till next month so I want to keep it simple to move  bits around while I lay the flooring, and then refit my benches and racks etc. once the flooring is down.

Photos to follow!

• Like 5

:ww: @BobMet Enjoy your build!

Congratulations Bob.

Clearly an auspicious day in this part of Shropshire as my car fired up today. (I also had my Covid vaccination too)

As soon as travel is allowed and you want to look at anything, you probably will have seen my car has now reached practical completion and you are very welcome to look though I expect you know more than I ever will. I will be applying for IVA so hopefully will also be mobile next month sometime.

Funnily enough I spoke to Ian at the factory this morning and he said he had to call me back because he was with a customer, loading. It must have been you.

Thanks Mike, and I hope your fire up went ok, I'll check your thread in a mo.

Yep, Ian was on the phone this AM but the rest of the guys stepped up to the mark as usual while he was busy with you, plus welcome hot coffees from Judy! Interesting that are happy to do all the loading and laying out in the van but have to leave the customer to strap the engine and gearbox in. No probs though and a trouble free return and unload. 

• Like 1

Just a mooch around the chassis and some boxes over the last couple of days, checking a few things which gave me issues during my last build or have been flagged up on recent build logs:

1. Looks like the LHS top rail on the tunnel converges towards the centreline a bit too much where its welded at the back end. The ali top panel is only a fraction wider so no issues there, especially as the ali side panels will account for most of the overlaps either side. More noticeable is that the cut out for the tunnel on the rear ali bulkhead is too wide at the top by very roughly 1 CM, but it looks like the rivet holes aren't too close to the edges of the chassis members. I'll work around that if needs be. The main outcome I think will be a gap, probably on the LHS, between the tunnel and the rear bulkhead. Probably just a case on making it watertight by stick some right angle channel over it.

2. I was surprised to find a Mazda LSD - are these standard for SE kist nowadays? Either way, I've identified the top and bottom diff brackets and all the holes appear to line up OK when fitted to either the diff or the chassis. Perhaps just a bit of reaming or drilling out needed for some of the clearance holes. Whether or not everything lines up when I try to join up both brackets with the diff and the chassis at the same time I'll have to wait and see!

3. Offered up the steering rack to the chassis mountings - the chassis supports and locating lugs on the rack all line up nicely. On the Mazda SDV build I found the alignment was poor, hence today's check.

4.Ordered up some more 5/32in skin pins from ebay ready for the panel riveting.

5. On the advice of the forum I've ordered a tube of Carbond polyurethane, in black, to use instead of silicone under the panels. Less likely to "pull out" by the sounds of it.

6. Next to get is some pipe insulation and/or scaffold  covering to protect the chassis when fitting some of the bits, and for covering the top of the build trestles.

7. I might get my compressor and trestles out of storage soon so I can crack on with some panel fitting. I'm thinking of powder coating some of the panels that will be on show, but obviously I want to dry fit them first and do most of the drilling etc. that they need before coating. Or I might just wait a couple of weeks until I can free up more space in the garage after my new shed has arrived next week, hopefully followed soon after by the floor tiles.

Hi Bob

The one thing you have referenced which may be correct is that the LH an RH sides of the car are different widths and the tunnel is not quite square but the relevant components; panels and even carpets are handed to suit. Just be careful particularly with the tunnel top panels that you have them the right way up to reflect their handing.

Good luck

Hi Bob - I too was surprised to find I had a Mazda LSD and checked with Westfield to find it is now standard for the SE.

Cheers

Steve

Wise words, thanks. Good to hear you've given yours its first little shakedown.

Bob - apologies if your already following my build diary and have seen this, but I've just gone round my upside down chassis and touched up some small areas where the powdercoat hadn't achieved full coverage. With hindsight I wish I had taken some "before" photos, as I ended up being surprised by how many small areas had been missed. Nothing huge, but quite a few bits in hidden corners, so worth taking a good look now. I will go round and do another check when I turn the chassis back over.  

Not much action today, but I thought I'd continue my checks by measuring how square the chassis is.

The measurements between front and rear wishbones, left and right, were within 1 mm of eachother for the top mounts and also for the bottom mounts. Similarly, diagonal measurements between the top wishbone mounts (front left to rear right, and front right to rear left) were within 1-2 mm of eachother.

The two diagonals between the front corners of the chassis and the rear corners of the rollover bar platforms differed by 4-5 mm.

All seems pretty reasonable to me.

• Like 2

Main effort over the past 2 days has been fitting wall cabinets and assembling a workbench in the garage.

But I did check the steering column parts as I want to get the bulkhead hole sorted early on prior to powder coating that panel. All the main bits are present and correct, but as far as far as I can see there are no fasteners supplied (or at least, none labelled) specifically for mounting the rack and column or clamping the UJs. I've probably got most of what I need in my stocks.

The upper column felt a little graunchy when rotated in its sleeve but it was fine once I'd cleaned the shaft and bushes. I'll fully clean the inside of the sleeve before fitting it. 

Yet another workbench assembled.

But today we've turned the chassis upside down, off the ground and onto the trestles , ready to start dry fitting some ali panels.

You're right, Steve, quite a few areas underneath without powder coat. Definitely not as good as the coverage on my last westie chassis 10 years ago. Which brush paints do people recommend for covering the bare areas? I know from experience that some paints e.g. cellulose I think, will lift powder coat and must be avoided.

Hi Bob - I used Rustoleum satin black “all-surface” paint and it hasn’t reacted with the powder coat. 

cheers 

Steve

• Like 1