Road trip storage

JamesGN

On 06/02/2021 at 10:55, Rush Motorsport said:

IMG_0208.thumb.JPG.a3233a0bbbf7da3f2dc9d16cb386ea0c.JPG

You do realise your not allowed travel with corona. 🤪

This packing thing rests a lot on whether you have a passenger. If you don't, you get can loads in. Taking another person with you is all that space gone and you get their stuff too. So my top tip is disown friends and relatives. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

I try to travel light. It's a shame to have to lug an extra 100kg when the roads are this good. I have a long range tank so boot space is restricted but still room enough for a few tools, spares, oil etc. No passenger so tent in the footwell along with a gallon of fuel (4.6l V8). bag of clothes etc on the pass seat. After doing many trips into Europe you find out whats essential.

Kenton

20190630_121939.jpg

• Like 2

Sorry, only just had a chance to dig back through some photos:

I took vital supplies to Silverstone, for the Classic, one year by a combination of using the spare wheel carrier with a plank on, to support the (beer and burger) fridge. 

Tent, camping gear and a 40l dry bag were strapped on top of the tonneau cover.

01d6e1c5199906704b9f63573548738a07126b4554.jpg

Later, I got the Caterham luggage rack that fixes around the spare...

IMG_0789.JPG

(Testing with, ahem, beer fridge!)

IMG_1846.JPG

The bar folds up against the spare, out of the way when not in use.

For the European trips, I've used one of the Lomo 60 litre dry bags.

IMG_0809.JPG

(Dry bags are invaluable for this sort of stuff. packed properly, you could literally dunk them under water with no immediate leaks. They'll take rain etc all day long.)

Tools, I've tended to store a WSCC tool roll in the boot, with a jack and wheel brace under the bonnet, in a tray I mage for the purpose.

IMG_2132.JPG

And with the WSC jack in it. (Westfield supplied it bagged, with the wheel brace)

IMG_2133.JPG

And then for all the small spares - fuses, jubilee clips, tapes, nuts and bolts, WD40 etc. There was the infamous pie-warmer!

IMG_2093.JPG

These are actually IP rated document holders from Heavy Plant, JCB's etc. But hold a fair amount, in this large size. And below, wrapped with self adhesive heat reflective foil.

IMG_2142.JPG

• Like 4

11 hours ago, Dave Eastwood (Gadgetman) - Club Secretary said:

Sorry, only just had a chance to dig back through some photos:

I took vital supplies to Silverstone, for the Classic, one year by a combination of using the spare wheel carrier with a plank on, to support the (beer and burger) fridge. 

Tent, camping gear and a 40l dry bag were strapped on top of the tonneau cover.

01d6e1c5199906704b9f63573548738a07126b4554.jpg

Later, I got the Caterham luggage rack that fixes around the spare...

IMG_0789.JPG

(Testing with, ahem, beer fridge!)

IMG_1846.JPG

The bar folds up against the spare, out of the way when not in use.

For the European trips, I've used one of the Lomo 60 litre dry bags.

IMG_0809.JPG

(Dry bags are invaluable for this sort of stuff. packed properly, you could literally dunk them under water with no immediate leaks. They'll take rain etc all day long.)

Tools, I've tended to store a WSCC tool roll in the boot, with a jack and wheel brace under the bonnet, in a tray I mage for the purpose.

IMG_2132.JPG

And with the WSC jack in it. (Westfield supplied it bagged, with the wheel brace)

IMG_2133.JPG

And then for all the small spares - fuses, jubilee clips, tapes, nuts and bolts, WD40 etc. There was the infamous pie-warmer!

IMG_2093.JPG

These are actually IP rated document holders from Heavy Plant, JCB's etc. But hold a fair amount, in this large size. And below, wrapped with self adhesive heat reflective foil.

IMG_2142.JPG

Nice good to know I have plenty of options

12 hours ago, kenton said:

I try to travel light. It's a shame to have to lug an extra 100kg when the roads are this good. I have a long range tank so boot space is restricted but still room enough for a few tools, spares, oil etc. No passenger so tent in the footwell along with a gallon of fuel (4.6l V8). bag of clothes etc on the pass seat. After doing many trips into Europe you find out whats essential.

Kenton

20190630_121939.jpg

Front splitter looks great on that

When I was using mine for touring I had a couple of vinyl bags have up to fit the dimensions of the ZK boot box exactly.  

5E13C17D-F855-4D9A-B018-7349A4586F94.thumb.jpeg.4f72cf25581439db8e3dbe109b824499.jpeg

The car is sold so these are available if anyone wants them for the cost of postage.

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, Mark (smokey mow) said:

When I was using mine for touring I had a couple of vinyl bags have up to fit the dimensions of the ZK boot box exactly.  

5E13C17D-F855-4D9A-B018-7349A4586F94.thumb.jpeg.4f72cf25581439db8e3dbe109b824499.jpeg

The car is sold so these are available if anyone wants them for the cost of postage.

Yes please, il PM. Cheers, Ian.

You could always make one of these.... spotted it earlier, apparently its a gentleman in New Zealand!

They must have some very lax towing regulations 😂

FB_IMG_1613123000934.jpg

• Haha 1

On 12/02/2021 at 09:46, RobH72 said:

You could always make one of these.... spotted it earlier, apparently its a gentleman in New Zealand!

They must have some very lax towing regulations 😂

FB_IMG_1613123000934.jpg

Epic

how on earth do you get to that tube Dave without taking the nose cone off? or is that the point... whatever is in there usually requires the nose off anyway?

Yes, the nose would come off, but if you needed the spares in their, anyway, you were going to be stopped for more than a couple of minutes. 

Of course, it also helps that the nose is attached in such a way that removal needs no tools and only takes a minute or two. (Two Dzus slide catches at the top, in place of the normal M6 bolts, and a knurled hand tightened style M8 bolt for the single fixing under the nose. Indicators are incorporated in the headlamps, so there’s no connections for wires to disconnect or anything.

• Like 1

Also just remembered today, an empty pringles can makes an excellent road tripping bin. Compact, doesn't billow in wind, has a lid, and is easily emptied into public bins where a full bag might not fit into the opening. Very handy way to avoid filling your pockets with road trip snack wrappers! 

+1 For storing the jack under the bonnet, with tools on the skuttle. 

IMG_0865.thumb.jpeg.fd8af49ff2b6c66f4813e0b953c29ed1.jpeg

I struggle to find a luggage rack that would fit the boot lid, so bought a kitchen pan trivet!

IMG_0748.thumb.jpeg.702a1a0af75b9986a8ccc2a37444c6eb.jpeg

• Like 5

19 minutes ago, Dean Goodall said:

+1 For storing the jack under the bonnet, with tools on the skuttle. 

IMG_0865.thumb.jpeg.fd8af49ff2b6c66f4813e0b953c29ed1.jpeg

I struggle to find a luggage rack that would fit the boot lid, so bought a kitchen pan trivet!

Like the tool layout, plus the rack will double as a BBQ come summer meets.

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, Dean Goodall said:

Cracking idea ! Was thinking of making something like that to go on boot, can’t believe I never thought of that as I sit here looking at two smaller ones been sat on kitchen worktop fit years staring at me 🙄🙄