Can somebody tell me what they think of this car

ybotcoombes

Still looking for my first Westfield 

Have come cross this 

https://www.carandclassic.co.uk/car/C1292061

Exhaust looks odd to me, mot history is ok , zetec engine a positive (think I would rather. Zetec over pinto , but am new to this)

prices seems to be really high to the moment , and this seems one of the cheaper zetec cars

cheers

Toby

Looks like some sort of blanket over the front exhaust link pipe then a heat shield over the can. Easily removed if you don’t like the look.

No idea about zetec’s tbh but it looks pretty good.

I’d be put off by the 17” wheels but they’re easily changed. Otherwise it looks clean and the MoT history suggests it’s been looked after.

8 hours ago, Stuart said:

Webers and an 03 plate? Is that possible cat/emissions wise? 

yes, emissions is based on the age of the engine.

registration is based on the age of the car, of which one major component can be reconditioned to new.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, ybotcoombes said:

Exhaust looks odd to me, mot history is ok , zetec engine a positive (think I would rather. Zetec over pinto , but am new to this)

Exhaust is std Westfield item with what appears to be some odd “Heath Robinson” attempt at creating a heat shield. Easily removable by the look of it.

Zetec definitely preferable to a Pintosaurus 😁 

Wheels... 🤮

I don’t like that particular car, but nothing wrong with a zetec (that a Duratec conversion won’t fix ;) ) 

The 17s indicate the owner isn’t an enthusiast...

In terms of engines there’s nothing “wrong” with any particular choice - @Andrew has a pintosaurus (as he affectionately calls it) and runs rings around many more modern cars on track. 

But there will be a very broad grouping in terms of overall desirability and resale value. In that group a Zetec trumps a pinto and a Duratec trumps a Zetec. 

To be clear, I am joking about the zetec, but not the 17s!

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Rush Motorsport said:

To be clear, I am joking about the zetec, but not the 17s!

Expanding on this, 17" are too big for a lightweight kit car and hence kill the handling/ride quality

. Most prefer 13" wheels for the best handling feel. However there's not so many tyres available in 13" for road use. Most use 15" for road use and there's a good choice of 195/50 or 205/50 tyres available.

Hence depending on your intended use, you're going to need to factor in a set of wheels and tyres. 

Depending on what's been done to the suspension. You may find the dampers/springs have been softened to cope with the stiff/narrow side wall of the 17"' tyres. Hence springs and shocks may need changing too.

It will most likely have quite a hard ride as it is. Hence if you test drive it, don't judge the brand just on this experience. As others have probably suggested, you'd be better getting over to Toybox and trying a variety of cars to judge how they ride/handle.

Obviously if we weren't in Covid lockdown, I'd be suggesting to get to a local meet and have a ride round with others. However we don't know when you'll be able to do this.

I've come from 3 Impreza's to my Westfield and was amazed at how soft/compliant the ride can be and still handle like it's on rails, compared to a heavier tin top!

Good luck in your search.

If this is within your budget I would suggest inspecting it. It's a good looking base to start your westfield ownership.

Look carefully at the chassis condition. Mileage would suggest its only been used for sunny day blats but if its stood outside or had any winter use it may be scabby.

In my experience so long as the chassis is sound then over time all the other bits such a wheels and trim are simple a easy to swap to make the car what you really want.

I bet you'll develop upgradeitus like most of us and so long as you're happy with the engine choice all other bits are relatively simple and there's lot of help here to advise 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Rush Motorsport said:

I don’t like that particular car, but nothing wrong with a zetec (that a Duratec conversion won’t fix ;) ) 

The 17s indicate the owner isn’t an enthusiast...

Those wheels, and the standard fairly weak rollover bar also suggests non-enthusiast.