New member, old lurker ...

Richard (OldStager)

Having been a long time lurker I thought it about time I joined up.
I am somewhat ashamed (given I have never joined) to say I have had the car for 13 years so far and have virtually rebuilt the whole thing in that time.
I have always been into odd British sports cars and spent 12 years rallying , hillclimbing and sprinting an old Triumph Spitfire, which although a dreadful
car to have started with as a competition car , was after a while quite good. I got the Westy some years after retiring from racing as it was always the type of car I could never beat if we ending up in the same class.
A five minute test drive told me why this was !!!.
Its a 1994 SE Narrow body, with the mighty crossflow, which was rebuilt by me about 3 years ago and now goes pretty well.
I have recently added clamshell wings as having rebuilt the car with the old school look the wings were the last thing to complete the appearance I was after.
Many of the mods and add on's won't be to everyones taste but I like it.

I have just tried to join up as a paid member and followed all the paypal stuff checking out as a guest, but because I don't own a mobile phone it wont let me proceed with the purchase because it does not recognize the home phone number ( even when you choose the home number option). I have tried many times in the past with other purchases and this isn't the first time I have come across this issue.. Is there another way of inputting my card details away from paypal please?. I know not having a mobile these days is a bit odd, but I just do not want one.

I do have lots of pics, but given its 13 years worth I will have to sort them out a bit -and get them to the 500k file limit.

Richard.

• Like 3

Thank you.

Here is a pic, quite an old one now, circa 2015.

You will have to imagine swept wings and a rear exit exhaust, since the weather hasn't been good enough to photo the car outside.

wf resized.jpg

• Like 2

Welcome, as Chris said, Mark will be able to help you out, we do have other options for rare situations like this!

The car sounds lovely, I can always imagine swept wings!!

Mmmm.....narrow and xflow....perfect combination and vastly underestimated imho....

Mart.

4 hours ago, OldStager said:

12 years rallying , hillclimbing and sprinting an old Triumph Spitfire

Being a bit of a Spitfire fan, (Owned two Mk3s and a 1500 in the distant past) I'd love to see some pics of yours.

Welcome.

:yes:

Hi Andrew,

Yes mine was a MK3, i got it needing a full resto which was done and did the car show scene for some years, got bored of standing about in fields so stripped it down again and went racing with it. Took many years to get the rear suspension to work properly, extra radius arms was one well worth mod, as well as altering the position of the spring mounting within the uprights.

I dont have many pics as my racing days was pre - internet and digital cameras, I do have one pic I bought from an event photographer which hangs on my wall seen below. All bodywork was eventually swapped for my own fibreglass panels, although the bonnet and GT roof was the Ashley conversion from back in the day. Used to run 62 odd seconds at Loton which is where the pic was taken... although I see now you cant take the line I did in 1997, cany recall the corner name, but the 90 left before Triangle corner.

Richard

spitty.jpg

• Like 4

Welcome from a chilly Scotland  and look forward to more pictures and details once your membership is sorted .

like you I had my own personal taste which is a combination of old school looks and modern materials. One of which was to have swept wings, so not a problem to imagine them on your car .

all the best Gary