Wanted: M2, M240i, 997.2, 987.2, GT86, Z4

kevip6

nice car. Interesting read as I've been thinking about replacing my aged z4 with a m240i this year and was very tempted if I could afford it with an older m2. I think the M2 is just a step too much with my new house. (i guess given I do somewhere around 2 weeks per mile at the mo its a bit academic)

15 hours ago, dombanks said:

nice car. Interesting read as I've been thinking about replacing my aged z4 with a m240i this year and was very tempted if I could afford it with an older m2. I think the M2 is just a step too much with my new house. (i guess given I do somewhere around 2 weeks per mile at the mo its a bit academic)

I had the same dilemma as the M240i is so much more affordable than the M2, for me it was just the looks to be completely honest, I just love the wide arches and the look of the M2.  Then I justified with the upgraded Diff, Suspension, Brakes etc....

It sounds awesome too 😲

to quote the yoof  they are sic!

From what i have read they are the M4 units. Recently i was in BMW buying a locking nut and they had a M2 competition, lovely looking car. For me its the size i like. The seats in this one looked well comfy any sporty but the images of the M2's on auto trader all seemed to look just like the m240. 

I guess I have restrained myself from doing more than a little autotrader voyerism as I wasn't in a position to do anything till we had bought our house and moved and now i'm spending it on bathrooms!! :( 

I think the Z will force my position its an 04 plate but seems fragile and it seems like death from a 1000 cuts. nothing major yet over the last year or so its been stuff like a wheel bearing, the brake dust covers, rear springs (yet again), apparently the middle box has a slight hole (im sure this is a cat not a resonator), wheels looked poor.... that sort of stuff. Now the alarm keeps going off again... 

2 hours ago, dombanks said:

From what i have read they are the M4 units. Recently i was in BMW buying a locking nut and they had a M2 competition, lovely looking car. For me its the size i like. The seats in this one looked well comfy any sporty but the images of the M2's on auto trader all seemed to look just like the m240. 

Its the Competition that has the M4 unit, can't remember the name but mine has an N55b engine

The 2018 I have is the LCI which of Facelift on the original design which is similar to the M240i with wider arches front and back.

The Competition is the upgraded model with new engine and a lot of upgrades (better seats) but comes at a price hike of around £8k over my 18 plate

Went through a short tunnel earlier and the noise is amazing! 

• Like 1

Ah right ok. I knew there was a difference in engine. TBH i would be in the 16/17 plate region for one of these at a push. but useful to know. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 02/02/2021 at 07:11, kevip6 said:

I had the same dilemma as the M240i is so much more affordable than the M2, for me it was just the looks to be completely honest, I just love the wide arches and the look of the M2.  Then I justified with the upgraded Diff, Suspension, Brakes etc....

That's the one thing that bothers me about the M240i if I were to buy one, and I'm afraid it's entirely my ego... With an M2, eveyone can see it's an M2 with the big arches, twin double exhaust and the front air dam/splitter/bumper etc.  With an M240i, it looks like any other 2 series. So when the question comes of "why did you buy that" you'd be constantly explaining the rationale, and I'm betting many car types would assume that an M2 was simply too expensive so one bought the next best thing as a wannabe. And who wants that... :oops: 

Cue Caterham/Westfield or Boxter Vs "proper" Porsche arguments of yesteryear... :o 

Or Rolex Vs Tudour

Or LearJet Vs Dassault

Or Feadship Vs Lurssen

I could go on...

I was exactly the same, so many little things that meant if I went for the M240 I would always have that niggle. 

after a couple of weeks with the M2 in what can only be described as the worst weather / road conditions for that car, I bl**** love it. My journeys would have been faster in my old 300bhp Leon Cupra as I was used to it and it was very quick in less than ideal conditions. The M2 is just a great car to drive, the noise is addictive and makes you want to push it harder. I find myself trying to find excuses to head out in it. Was more than I wanted to spend but I don’t regret it at all, definitely think it’s a keeper

On 14/02/2021 at 21:37, kevip6 said:

I was exactly the same, so many little things that meant if I went for the M240 I would always have that niggle. 

after a couple of weeks with the M2 in what can only be described as the worst weather / road conditions for that car, I bl**** love it. My journeys would have been faster in my old 300bhp Leon Cupra as I was used to it and it was very quick in less than ideal conditions. The M2 is just a great car to drive, the noise is addictive and makes you want to push it harder. I find myself trying to find excuses to head out in it. Was more than I wanted to spend but I don’t regret it at all, definitely think it’s a keeper

Phew. I thought it was just me 😄 

*Runs to Autotrader* :oops: 

• Haha 1

Important Information

Please review our Terms of Use, Guidelines and Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.