Somerset & Devon - planning ahead - drive-out!

Sean Walsh

Hi all,

Hope that you and yours are well and enjoying the lockdown!

Not that I have time on my hands in the evenings or anything - but decided to amuse myself last night with planning a possible route for a first drive-out when easing of restrictions allow!

I mapped out a route as a starter for ten - but really happy to take suggestions on tweaks / amendments based on better local knowledge - esp on the western end of the route!

Unhelpfully, google maps doesn't seem to allow me to calculate the total route distance anymore(?), but I reckon it must be about 120/130 miles all in - and a mix of A roads, the twisty stuff, big hills, one short M-way squirt - and most importantly, coffee at the start and a pub lunch by the river (if people are up for it?)

It would be great to get your thoughts on this - suggested changes to the route, where we can stop etc - open to all suggestions and ideas of who might be interested once circumstances allow?

Also, might be nice to ask the neighbouring areas, Bristol and Dorset to see if anyone would like to join us too? - and make some new connections?

image.thumb.png.1f43de7d73f2a32e1a0f9587dbe0a529.png

https://www.google.com/maps/d/edit?mid=1oOwu6mm6di8fbmYhqgSr85hrHHFfdRF7&usp=sharing

Let me know what you think?

Looking forward to being allowed out to play again!

Thx

W

• Like 3

Looks good. If we plan a coffee / cake stop in Lynmouth there is a shorter, alternative route back across the moors (lovely road) via Simonsbath, Raleigh Cross and Wheddon Cross back towards Bishops Lydiard for anyone who is only allowed half a day off gardening / family duties.

Just need some freedom and some sunshine.

Jim 

• Like 1

If you are going down Porlock Hill that will sort out the good brakes from the bad. I had my Motorhome brakes with smoke pouring off them and a pedal getting longer by the second. If anyone hasn't changed their fluid do it before you go down there.

Looks like a great route and if the weather is fine some spectacular views

Well done W, know what it takes to pull together a route for a run, thanks for your efforts. Looks an enjoyable route, as and when the time is right to venture out again.

Few thoughts (you did ask!):

Fuel available at Barnstaple and/or Tiverton? (Usually try and plan fuel every ~100 miles with Dorset trips!)

A fun way of avoiding the M5 could be to head north from Tiverton on the A396 to Brampton. Then head east on the B3227 back to Taunton via Waterrow, Wiveliscombe and Milverton. Lovely road provided there’s not too many Pheasants about!

Monkton Elm Garden Centre always seems to be very busy, with congested parking plus the dreaded speed humps! An alternative suggestion could be the Otter Vale Garden Centre at Norton Fitzwarren (TA2 6PE) just north of Taunton.

Just my thoughts, looking forward to it. Keep up the good work.

• Like 1

Hi all,

Thanks for the suggestions and comments - all good with me.

Should be fine with fuel  - Taunton, Minehead, Lynton, Barnstaple and Tiverton so even if your not twinkle toes - you should be ok!

The Bampton option is good. We could either go Bampton via Wivvy or Bampton, Exebridge, Heath Poult Cross and across top to Taunton. I'm completely fine with either.

Monkton Elm is a good option or maybe even the Cross Keys pub on the roundabout?

Really not precious about any of this at all - would just be good to have a plan up our sleeve so we can just get to it when we can - and woukd just eb great to finally meet up with everyone!

Thanks all,

W

• Like 3

Hi, Yes always up for a drive and meeting fellow members.

Thanks for putting a route together, I would be happy with any drive out and there are some good roads on the route.

The B3227 from black cat to south molton is an excellent driving road (with Jubilee Inn for refreshments)as is the B3226 south of south Molton to the A377.

cheers

Nick

Happy New Year everyone. Well done having a go at this! Yes count me/us in. We are in Umberleigh, so the Rising Sun is our local (although it's been shut since the Autumn). All the comments you've had are good ideas…..if we can't fit them all in on one day….we'll just have to do another one! Looking forward to driving more than just taking the Westy for its MOT! Cheers Gareth

• Like 1

Hi all,

Thanks for all the comments and feedback.

Look like there's quite a few who are keen to do something along these lines and so I will plan to get something in the diary as soon as the restrictions allow - so watch this space.

I see that a lot of the other ares are having virtual meets via Teams or similar. Is this something that you think that we should have a bash at?

If there's any interest then I'm happy to set something up for an evening over a beer? Better than watching more repeats on Dave!

Let me know what you think and we'll go from there.

Thanks,

W

tenor.gif

• Like 1

You could try Wayne and Mark both in/around Tavistock area…..Just can't remember for the life of me what their Forum handles are, I think Wayne's is something like bgnr……??? Don't know how you find out. G

Cheers @Walshie, When we get a date in the diary I will ping this out to the Bristol & Bath folk as it's well within reach for us and nice to meet the neighbours!

Looks like a lovely route also.

Chris

Hi Chris,

That great and any Bristol and Bath folks would be very welcome!

I will be sure to keep you posted on how this develops.

Would be great to be able to meet finally!

Thx

W