To owners with the Race Technology DASH2 and Omex 600 ecu; are you using the serial connection?

Dave Eastwood (Gadgetman) - Club Chairman

As per the title; we get quite a few requests from owners trying to make this work. On "paper" it does, so this thread is not about what Omex's or Race Technologies instructions currently say!

The thing is, a few of us that normally try and help on these threads have never tried this exact combination, and critically, we don't actually know of anyone with a Westfield who has.

Are there any owners out there, with a working serial connection between the stock WSC supplied Omex 600 series ecu and the Race Technology DASH2 or DASH2 Pro?

If there are, we'd really like your help/experience. What did you need to do? return the ecu to Omex for the chip change and new firmware, then just follow the instructions to configure both products? Were extra undocumented steps needed? Extra hardware?

Hopefully, if we can get someone's positive experience, this thread can be moved to the FAQ section for those that would like to try it!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I'm using the Dash 2 to OMEX via serial. Its not standard Westfield supplied but I did have to send it off to open the ports up with OMEX. I required a bit of help from Ian but most of it is straight forward from Race Tech website through MAP4000. I'm also only using a few channels although it can do I think 11? Coolant, air temp, RPM and throttle. 

I do wonder the more channels you use up the slower maybe the dash/ecu can send/receive the data

Longest bits are the smoothing and filtering of the channels you want. 

If anyone needs a hand, give us a shout, more than happy to help👍

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Hi @MattyH17 thanks for promptly confirming.

What would be really helpful is confirmation that you're on V.70D firmware? Can we also see screen shots of your config in both Map4000 and also the RT Dash Config util. I 'think' you're on V9 firmware with the Dash2, using the legacy RT software.

Serial comms aren't fast compared to other protocols, however I'd expect both the ECU and the Dash2 to not allow the comms traffic to slow down other vital operations and in the grand scheme of things, even if you were transmitting all the data available in the ECU to the dash, it's not a huge amount of data even for serial comms. However I've not got any first hand experience, so if you've seen slow down etc, I can't argue with that! 

Another member @NickBW is running an Omex 600 with a Dash2 Pro and his comms aren't working yet, however he's discovered he needs the Omex firmware update to V.70D. Hopefully all will be good for him once this is done. The config software for the Pro Dash2 is different than the standard Dash2.

With good input from both of you, we can hopefully put a FAQ together to help those in the future, as per @Dave Eastwood (Gadgetman) - Club Secretary's good idea above.

Great post @Dave Eastwood (Gadgetman) - Club Secretary

Cheers @Ian Kinder (Bagpuss) - Joint Peak District AO for the heads up!

Yep i am mid way through mine.  For those doing this, here is my check guide

1. Is you OMEX 600 on the right version?
    The MAP4000 software will not show which v.70 version you are on. For this you need to check your ECU
    If you are like me and its showing v.70A, you need to contact OMEX to get it flashed to V.70D
    The cost of this is £60. Ensure you send it back well packaged and recorded. 
    image.png.8a5d7c14ef240046aa807fb5270129a4.png

2. Set up telemetry on the MAP3000/MAP4000 software on your OMEX 600
    https://www.race-technology.com/wiki/index.php/ECUType/OMEX600And710
    The OMEX 600 and 710 ECUs with V0.70 firmware are fully configurable in terms of which channels of data are transmitted and at what data rate. To be compatible with the Race Technology ECU decoder the ECU must be set up to output the following channels of data:
    image.png.b1cbfb0a9724c78415a1adec4e984aef.png

Baud rate is set to 38400baud with standard checksum. Start byte must be set to 0x00

The data is translated in the following manner:
    image.png.c19453a42a6da681e039e4cc02786b50.png
    The OMEX ECUs can be tuned using MAP3000 or MAP4000. Below are the steps to take when using either of the two softwares. Please take note of the one suitable to your application.

Notes:

A CD packaged with the ECU, contains both a Telemetry and Non Telemetry base map, for connection to Race Technology Products it is imperitive that the Telemetry base map is used as a starting point for the tune.

600 ECU must be v0.70D or later. The letter will not appear in the software, they need to look on the ECU itself.

710 ECU must be v0.70C or later. There were no non-working versions of 0.70 on the 710 so if it shows 0.70 in the software it will be fine.

If your OMEX 710 ECU is running version 0.89 firmware or later your will need different firmware on your Race Technology ECU Serial Adapter. Please specify this when ordering or contact Race Technology if you require the alternative firmware for your ECU Serial Adapter.

Note - Not all channels listed in the table(s) above may be available from your ECU. This can be dependent on the vehicle model & year of manufacture.

3. Do you have the ECU Comms enabled on your Dash2?
    Check via the Dash2 software to see if its enabled under ECU licence.
    Connect your Dash2 to a laptop, i used the Dash2 Pro usb, read back the settings from your DASH2 PRO using the Read Configuration button
    image.png.561d6d482330e75e767c9174a83aa4f3.png

Once the settings have been retrieved from the unit, go to Options > Dash options:

image.png.a8ec2db0ed0506cb43b66923b6309cc2.png

You can see here, i am missing the Licence under entry 6
    image.png.b42a5e51402857bc89c2e9b8a6e07881.png

If like me, oblivious to the fact it was an extra purchase, you can contact RT and purchase this separately

4. How do i install any new licence/feature on my Dash2 once i receive it from RT.
    Attached is a Zip V10 License Upload.mp4.zip which demonstrates the process

5. What are the Dash2 setting for enabling ECU Coms
    A base which RT sent me is attached here DASH2PRO - Omex 600.cmg.zip
    I have since changed this to receive ECU comms via Serial 1

6. f you have a Zetec and want oil temp as well as the standard oil pressure, the way I achieved this was through the sump finger plug. Currently running a raceline wet sump, trill and tap the sump bolt for your oil temp sensor. In my case, I sent the sensor to Raceline to do this to a new plug to aid switching the new one for the old one

I hope this helps.

What i am now missing, are the best settings for these feeds into the Dash, so @MattyH17might be able to help (i have PM'ed you @MattyH17for some help with mine!)

Thanks

Nick

• Like 4

Superb, thanks guys!

8 hours ago, Ian Kinder (Bagpuss) - Joint Peak District AO said:

Hi @MattyH17 thanks for promptly confirming.

What would be really helpful is confirmation that you're on V.70D firmware? Can we also see screen shots of your config in both Map4000 and also the RT Dash Config util. I 'think' you're on V9 firmware with the Dash2, using the legacy RT software.

Serial comms aren't fast compared to other protocols, however I'd expect both the ECU and the Dash2 to not allow the comms traffic to slow down other vital operations and in the grand scheme of things, even if you were transmitting all the data available in the ECU to the dash, it's not a huge amount of data even for serial comms. However I've not got any first hand experience, so if you've seen slow down etc, I can't argue with that! 

Another member @NickBW is running an Omex 600 with a Dash2 Pro and his comms aren't working yet, however he's discovered he needs the Omex firmware update to V.70D. Hopefully all will be good for him once this is done. The config software for the Pro Dash2 is different than the standard Dash2.

With good input from both of you, we can hopefully put a FAQ together to help those in the future, as per @Dave Eastwood (Gadgetman) - Club Secretary's good idea above.

Sorry, @NickBWand Ian. I'm not near my ECU and dash laptop at the moment or the car itself but ill grab it tomorrow and send some pictures etc. 

Originally (7 years ago) when i purchased the Dash 2 i was using the latest RT software which is obviously now called their legacy program, I've re-flashed my dash to the latest firmware so I can use their latest software. 

I'm not 100% sure on the version of my ECU but it has been sent off to OMEX a while back and it definitely works with what I'm streaming through the serial port, maybe I got lucky or its not as finicky as they say. 

Also, the Dash 2 Pro is certainly different on the software front, although its a similar layout, you have a lot more selectable controls.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, NickBW said:

Great post @Dave Eastwood (Gadgetman) - Club Secretary

Cheers @Ian Kinder (Bagpuss) - Joint Peak District AO for the heads up!

Yep i am mid way through mine.  For those doing this, here is my check guide

1. Is you OMEX 600 on the right version?
    The MAP4000 software will not show which v.70 version you are on. For this you need to check your ECU
    If you are like me and its showing v.70A, you need to contact OMEX to get it flashed to V.70D
    I think there might be a cost with this.  Not sure yet though
    image.png.8a5d7c14ef240046aa807fb5270129a4.png

2. Set up telemetry on the MAP3000/MAP4000 software on your OMEX 600
    https://www.race-technology.com/wiki/index.php/ECUType/OMEX600And710
    The OMEX 600 and 710 ECUs with V0.70 firmware are fully configurable in terms of which channels of data are transmitted and at what data rate. To be compatible with the Race Technology ECU decoder the ECU must be set up to output the following channels of data:
    image.png.b1cbfb0a9724c78415a1adec4e984aef.png

Baud rate is set to 38400baud with standard checksum. Start byte must be set to 0x00

The data is translated in the following manner:
    image.png.c19453a42a6da681e039e4cc02786b50.png
    The OMEX ECUs can be tuned using MAP3000 or MAP4000. Below are the steps to take when using either of the two softwares. Please take note of the one suitable to your application.

Notes:

A CD packaged with the ECU, contains both a Telemetry and Non Telemetry base map, for connection to Race Technology Products it is imperitive that the Telemetry base map is used as a starting point for the tune.

600 ECU must be v0.70D or later. The letter will not appear in the software, they need to look on the ECU itself.

710 ECU must be v0.70C or later. There were no non-working versions of 0.70 on the 710 so if it shows 0.70 in the software it will be fine.

If your OMEX 710 ECU is running version 0.89 firmware or later your will need different firmware on your Race Technology ECU Serial Adapter. Please specify this when ordering or contact Race Technology if you require the alternative firmware for your ECU Serial Adapter.

Note - Not all channels listed in the table(s) above may be available from your ECU. This can be dependent on the vehicle model & year of manufacture.

3. Do you have the ECU Comms enabled on your Dash2?
    Check via the Dash2 software to see if its enabled under ECU licence.
    Connect your Dash2 to a laptop, i used the Dash2 Pro usb, read back the settings from your DASH2 PRO using the Read Configuration button
    image.png.561d6d482330e75e767c9174a83aa4f3.png

Once the settings have been retrieved from the unit, go to Options > Dash options:

image.png.a8ec2db0ed0506cb43b66923b6309cc2.png

You can see here, i am missing the Licence under entry 6
    image.png.b42a5e51402857bc89c2e9b8a6e07881.png

If like me, oblivious to the fact it was an extra purchase, you can contact RT and purchase this separately

4. How do i install any new licence/feature on my Dash2 once i receive it from RT.
    Attached is a Zip V10 License Upload.mp4.zip which demonstrates the process

5. What are the Dash2 setting for enabling ECU Coms
    A base which RT sent me is attached here DASH2PRO - Omex 600.cmg.zip
    I have since changed this to receive ECU comms via Serial 1

I hope this helps.

What i am now missing, are the best settings for these feeds into the Dash, so @MattyH17might be able to help (i have PM'ed you @MattyH17for some help with mine!)

Thanks

Nick

Nick, 

You look like you're just missing the ECU License and getting the software update from OMEX. 

For mine, I literally followed their instructions regarding channel telemetry on OMEX software (messaged Ian about the missing Lambda 2 from my channel) then selected the correct channels I wanted to view on my dash through RT software, uploaded it from laptop to serial port on back of dash and I was getting readings. The water temp was perfect reading straight from the box, throttle was working but needed filtering and smoothed and the same with RPM. The thing with the filtering and smoothing is, there's no set number or figure that I can tell you that will work. Its a trial and error game but once I got the hang of messing around with the RPM side I was quick at sorting the throttle % out as I knew what I was looking for. 

Like I said above, once I have my laptop in my hand tomorrow ill send some pictures here! I'm just thinking now but don't get too worked up over it because you'll get it right sitting in a garage and then you'll go for a spin and realize things all need changing and smoothing/filtering lol! Sorry 

• Like 2

Hi, @NickBW, @Ian Kinder (Bagpuss) - Joint Peak District AO and @Dave Eastwood (Gadgetman) - Club Secretary

Sorry for the late-ish message, had a hectic day. Anyway, I managed to get to the car briefly and grab my laptop. I can confirm I'm definitely running v.70d. I've taken a few pics of what I have from the RT software for my setup but like I said before the PRO software is more in depth than mine and also my figures wont necessarily suit your application but will probably get you in the ball park area 

IMG_2987.jpg

IMG_2986.jpg

IMG_2985.jpg

IMG_2984.jpg

IMG_2979.jpg

IMG_2981.jpg

IMG_2982.jpg

IMG_2980.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

That's great @MattyH17, any chance you can add the setting in the ECU too, please (no rush, whenever you get chance). It will really help those in the future!

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Ian Kinder (Bagpuss) - Joint Peak District AO said:

That's great @MattyH17, any chance you can add the setting in the ECU too, please (no rush, whenever you get chance). It will really help those in the future!

Yeah of course, Friday will be the earliest I can do that 

2 minutes ago, MattyH17 said:

Yeah of course, Friday will be the earliest I can do that 

Friday (or even later) will be fine! 

Pictures of the steps from MAP4000. Remember always save what you're doing and always send new calibration once your done as it wont work! Follow instructions off RT website.

MAP4000

If using MAP4000 software, the ECU must be connected to the PC in a different way ECU > Connect must not be used. Instead a copy of the calibration must be saved on the PC used for mapping. When starting a new session in MAP4000, the existing calibration must be resent to the ECU using ECU > Send New Calibration Shown in the below image.

Whilst calibrating the ECU, it is important to periodically save any changes made to the map, to ensure that the calibration file is safe in the event of the PC shutting down unexpectedly. Any of the below options can be used to save the file.

Save

Save As

Save New Version

Everytime the MAP4000 software is closed, the Calibration file will need to be loaded onto the ECU using ECU > Send New Calibration

4.jpg

3.jpg

2.jpg

1.jpg

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...

I have spent some time getting this to work and one of the issues i fell into was due to the fact i purchased the ECU licence after buying the device... was i needed a null-modem serial cable.

RT sorted this out to me free of charge, it arrived and BOOM

We have ECU comms working with the OMEX 600 and the Dash2 Pro

Just want to hightlight how important the OMEX serial settings are.  RT on the call changed "use alternative channel" to No and this prevented the dash reading the ECU.  Once i changed it back we instantly saw ECU comms working!

Thanks to all who have helped!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

As a side note, @Chrisn01 has recently got his Omex 710 ECU working with an AiM MXS dash, using the same Omex settings I believe, and a serial connection set up at the Dash end. 

Great to see some success out there with Omex ecu’s in telemetry mode!

• Like 2

• 8 months later...

I've recently provide support to someone with an Omex 710 and a Dash2. 

The ECU was firmware V0.70C

We set up the telemetry as:

image.png.10cf730ce47b406bfde3a249c1d118be.png

Initially we couldn't get coms with the Dash. Eventually discovered that there a further comms setting on the Dashboard tab

image.png.5e4e0431e780d5a8be397aac570a0303.png

Both of the values shown in yellow needed to be set to on. After we'd resolved this, I received the attached from Omex.

Which shows- 

image.png.1639c0e728908b49de899f476058dd79.png

After this it 'magically' worked!

the warning notice on how to connect in the future is well worth remembering too

image.png.999336bf12811b14dfe1520ba53d2eb9.png

notes v6.pdf

• Like 1