Which Sealant

harrypotter

harrypotter

Can anyone help please.

I've taken an alloy panel off and it had some sealant on it where it met with the metal tubing. I was very relieved to find it did not bond the parts together, it just formed a rubber like seal which was easily removed. It was black and stretchy. Can anyone identify it as I would like to use it on reassembly. 

Many thanks.

TableLeg

Which panel was it?

Usually PU Adhesive/Sealant would be used. Tigerseal is quite common.

https://www.u-pol.com/uk/en-uk/product/tiger-sealtm/adhesives-sealants-plastic-repairs/adhesive-sealants/tiger-seal-polyurethane-sealant-and-adhesive#.X__Se5Gnw0E

Available in Halfords as well as eBay, Amazon etc.

It does give a good bond though so makes getting the panels off a little but more difficult than just sealant. Good stuff though and not expensive for what it is.

harrypotter

Thanks tableleg. 
Yes I’ve used that before and know that lots of people swear by it. But, I’m really impressed with the way this stuff formed a waterproof seal and didn’t form a sticky bond. 
It was the side panel. Imagine my delight when I pulled at the edge and the whole panel just peeled off and left a nice clean surface once the surplus sealant was peeled off with my fingers. 
It’s my understanding that Westfield themselves don’t use any sealant when building their cars. 
I’m not looking to open a debate about the merits of high bond sealants. I would just like to find similar stuff that has worked brilliantly on this car. 

Rush Motorsport

I know the stuff you mean - it’s often behind the door cards on OEM stuff. Very little tackiness just a nice waterproof bead. 

I don’t know what it’s called though!

harrypotter
9 minutes ago, Rush Motorsport said:

I know the stuff you mean - it’s often behind the door cards on OEM stuff. Very little tackiness just a nice waterproof bead. 

I don’t know what it’s called though!

That sounds exactly like the stuff I want. 

harrypotter
20 minutes ago, jonjh1964 said:

Westfield use and supply standard silicone sealant for sealing the alloy panels to the chassis. sealant

Sorry. I must have been mislead by Westfield telling me that they don’t use it in their factory builds.
Unless of course they supply it due to customer demand? 

• Like 1
Terry Everall - WSCC Competition Secretary

I would just use a normal clear silicon sealant

• Thanks 1
harrypotter
43 minutes ago, Terry Everall - WSCC Competition Secretary said:

I would just use a normal clear silicon sealant

But it’s a pain to remove, that’s why I like the original stuff. If only I could track it down. 

Terry Everall - WSCC Competition Secretary

It does stick well I have to admit

Call intek, who manufacturers sealants, a family owned company with a technical director you can speak with...

Not saying they make it.. But they might....

I have used for work and were excellent

Could it be something like tiger seal, but left to cure slightly before the builder pressed the panel into place? Kind of using the sealant to form a mostly cured, and therefore not sticky, bead that could still be compressed?

harrypotter

It's not silicone either. It's more like rubber, in that its almost like a stretchy elastic band when you peel it off. 

I'm going to do what Mole suggests, if I can find their details.

jonjh1964
22 minutes ago, harrypotter said:

It's not silicone either. It's more like rubber, in that its almost like a stretchy elastic band when you peel it off. 

I'm going to do what Mole suggests, if I can find their details.

Intek's website link