ARB trailing rather than leading?

Thinking out loud here. 

could you fit a regular front anti roll bar to the rear (trailing) of the wishbones rather than the front (leading)?

I dont think I have space for one at the front due to the rad fan

6D82C599-DAE0-468A-8C16-161039C34354.thumb.jpeg.7f386bed74ccb5927fd7744ee5e5e733.jpeg

ive plenty space to the rear though 

071EFDF1-848C-40B3-A04B-A8F85AAE18AF.thumb.jpeg.184d8987efe47a9c0819aa9b86287558.jpeg

Rhett - Joint Black Country AO

My Playskool version is rear mounted, no issues fitting, similar clearance issues and as it's an FW it was much easier to adjust the body work aswell. 

Thanks Rhett, that’s good to know. 
It’ll be a playskool one I’ll get probably 

did you get the sort or standard stiffness?

Terry Everall - WSCC Competition Secretary

Talk to Luke at Playskool about matching bar stiffnesses to car weight (engine weight) etc

Ian Kinder (Bagpuss) - Joint Peak District AO

Is this bracket alloy or steel? 

image.png.4abc8c8d4da80a07cd67f82cf84ea74d.png

I've got the factory steel top mounts welded to my chassis (2015 S2000)-I've moved my rad fwd to clear the roll bar

image.png.b496e4b8b34aeb441ba7691442bab0f7.png

Though you've got more hanging off the front than me. Any reason your solid mounting it, rather than rubber bushes (GBS solid mount too)?

• Like 1
16 hours ago, Terry Everall - WSCC Competition Secretary said:

Talk to Luke at Playskool about matching bar stiffnesses to car weight (engine weight) etc

Will do terry thanks. I know it’s a black art getting it all set correctly 👍

15 hours ago, Ian Kinder (Bagpuss) - Joint Peak District AO said:

Is this bracket alloy or steel? 

image.png.4abc8c8d4da80a07cd67f82cf84ea74d.png

I've got the factory steel top mounts welded to my chassis (2015 S2000)-I've moved my rad fwd to clear the roll bar

image.png.b496e4b8b34aeb441ba7691442bab0f7.png

Though you've got more hanging off the front than me. Any reason your solid mounting it, rather than rubber bushes (GBS solid mount too)?

thanks Ian. 

those brackets are the older folded aluminium ones (rubbish design which I’ve had to reinforce)

I don’t really see the need to mount rads on bobbins,  I’ve had a few different kits with different set ups (inc high vibrating Bike engines) and I’ve always solid mounted them with no issues. 
when it’s solid mounted I can accurately position the rad and ducting inside the nose cone where as on bobbins it’s can bounce around

i don’t have enough space to move the rad forward due to the intercooler and ducting unfortunately. 

mounting a bar behind the wishbone would be ideal 

• Like 1
Dave Eastwood (Gadgetman) - Club Secretary
1 hour ago, DMc said:

I don’t really see the need to mount rads on bobbins,  I’ve had a few different kits with different set ups (inc high vibrating Bike engines) and I’ve always solid mounted them with no issues. 

Unfortunately there's a lot of history of the welded alloy rads failing on solid mounts, in Caterham circles too. Obviously, a high failure rate doesn't mean they all will, many will be lucky. It's expensive when the luck runs out though. If it's wobbling around too much, then the bobbins are probably too soft, higher shear strength grades are available.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
1 hour ago, Dave Eastwood (Gadgetman) - Club Secretary said:

Unfortunately there's a lot of history of the welded alloy rads failing on solid mounts, in Caterham circles too. Obviously, a high failure rate doesn't mean they all will, many will be lucky. It's expensive when the luck runs out though. If it's wobbling around too much, then the bobbins are probably too soft, higher shear strength grades are available.

That's a fair point Dave, so is the thought that vibration/harmonics  cracks welds or the force of weight the rad moving around un-dampened put too much stress though them?

I could maybe squeeze a very shallow, but wide bobbin in there. My other issue is those crap alu upper brackets, if theyre subject to much movement they'll just fatigue and fail.  some steel welded ones are now on my list 

I have a fairly high power, (ie bulky and heavy) fan, plus the 75mm rad, with ducting, so it's a fair weight - it cracked two or three sets of aluminium top brackets in short order - fatigued very quickly, one set lasted only weeks. I made my own steel mounts in the end, which have done four years and six or seven thousand miles, with no issues at all.

• Like 1
Rush Motorsport
1 hour ago, DMc said:

That's a fair point Dave, so is the thought that vibration/harmonics  cracks welds or the force of weight the rad moving around un-dampened put too much stress though them?

I could maybe squeeze a very shallow, but wide bobbin in there. My other issue is those crap alu upper brackets, if theyre subject to much movement they'll just fatigue and fail.  some steel welded ones are now on my list 

I don’t have bobbins either and mine has been fine, it’s a different rad style though. 347AE64A-021D-4233-8549-3A5BDD680632.thumb.jpeg.9239c449a6ccf4d26f804da22b5aea1e.jpeg

Not the best of pics, but all I could quickly find for the top mounts; I had to quickly knock something up with an impending thousand mile plus trip to France.

IMG_2093.JPG

20190825_122205.jpeg

Had to be quickly put together with what I had to hand, so sections of 4mm angle steel, welded together, with a 4mm closing plate on one end, and the rad bolts through that. (The chassis end picks up on the old aluminium bracket mount.)

• Like 1
Ian Kinder (Bagpuss) - Joint Peak District AO
4 minutes ago, DMc said:

nice setup you've got there @Dave Eastwood (Gadgetman) - Club Secretary 👍

His pie warmer no longer get's warm 😄

Back to your topic. I've killed circa 5 rads without a real root cause been identified, hence I'd be scared to death to solid mount mine!

I agree you need to beef up the top mounts, as with the weight of rad, intercooler, water and pipework, it's a lot to hang on Ali.

6 minutes ago, Ian Kinder (Bagpuss) - Joint Peak District AO said:

His pie warmer no longer get's warm 😄

Is that what the cylinder is? 😄😄

Right guys, you've put the ****s up me now, I'm on the case....

• Like 1
9 minutes ago, Ian Kinder (Bagpuss) - Joint Peak District AO said:

I've killed circa 5 rads

I lost a Radtech 55mm core job before I went isolation mount.