Drone pilots with the new law

Barnsley John

As i fly a drone  in uk you must have some kind of certificate licence etc

And now as its law only sb 249 gram drones allow you more freedom to fly

I am looking at taking my a2 cof c test so i can fly a drone nearer to buildings and people with a mavic 2 pro

Any one else in the westy world in this enviroment

As if you dont sort it out its like driving without a licence

Please dont reply on how the guna police it etc as all new drones bought soon will have a transponder  and you will not be able to take off

Thoughts only and memberes  rhat like to fly

• Like 1

Yep, I have a licence and its no trouble to get. What you do need to do is label your drone with your operator number, which you will be given on completion of the course.

I use a Mavic Mini - although it falls under the 250g limit, I still registered it (and me) and took the CAA test.

I've looked at the new regs and wondered where I'll fly it now - I only use it very occasionally in order to get some unusual photography angles. Unless I only photograph deserted places, it seems I may struggle to use it legally

I have a DJI phantom 3 but haven't flown it for months due to not having any kind of licence. I am considering getting an A2 C of C licence as I keep getting emails from a company called Coptrz who are offering this for just the cost of registration. Might have to bite the bullet and go for it! 

I've had the Mavic Pro and then sold that and bought a Mavic Air 2 which is simpler but more modern and great for it's "Follow Me shots" Interestingly up the NE is the company that did some of the investigation work on what happened at Gatwick Airport and they are really into Drones of all sizes. Did a free morning course with them years ago and it just made me feel that it was worth getting a licence and insurance. There are too many people in the world today out to claim off you and cause issues. 

In some ways annoying as I was flying radio controlled planes years ago as a kid, but the world's a different place now.

For me overall it's been well worth it, I've been allowed to fly right over Bamburgh Castle because I had the licence and insurance, done lots of great shots of car shows etc at the correct distance. But without doing the more arduous test for close flying yet, might do it one day. So I've got the normal drone licence currently and just renewed again in December.

Hope that helps.

The mavic mini2 sounds like the drone to have verry limmited restictions 

And in a travel bag will fit any ware in westy for a day out 

I somerimes took a p4 but it filled car up 

The a2 cof c test is 99 pound on offer from uva hub it online learning and a 70 min test wen ever tou want to book it online

They are good

Normal licence or operatorl icence you must have if your drone as a camera even the sub 250 cat 9 pound for year

From a different perspective perhaps, I flew RC aircraft for many, many years, and had to pass tests to do so as time moved on. It was also a pretty well regulated and organised community, with dedicated flying sites, requirements for good liability insurance etc. As the years passed, the rules got tighter, but never really onerous IMO. 

When drones became ‘a thing’ it bothered me a bit that folk could fly them wherever they liked with zero experience or instruction. I for one am happy to see some effective regulation is finally in place.

Nothing against folk doing their thing at all, but the potential to cause serious harm with a flying machine is undeniable, so having some training, no matter how cursory, and some regulation is a good thing I think. Insurance is a must too.

I know this all sounds very grumpy old git, but even well regulated activities have accidents, and I saw a few over the years that could have had fatal consequences. We don’t tend to think about what could go wrong when just flying our ‘toys’.

@Barnsley John best of luck with the test, no reason it should curb your enjoyment.

• Like 4

Thanks i have had the basic licence  for two years now for drones the advanced a2 cof c lets you into the next level as it risk assesment now 

I flew model rc planes for seven year in a club in barnsley and went on to fly paramotors for 10 yr so got sum flying experience  and flown drones for nearly 5 yr  and hope to paramotor again 1 day once i can convince  our lass after a serious fall from the sky

It does need sum regulations as theres a lot of dick heads out there that aint a clue buzzing your house and its against the law to do that 

Its a criminal offence now to shoot at one  for obvious reasons

I think its great to go out in westy in summer find a nice spot launch ya drone and get sum fantastic shots from a different prespective

• Like 3

Taking my a2 cof c exam tomorrow  this will allow me fly nearer to people and buildings with a abovec250 g drone

In weight up to 2 kg

Lets see if the barnsley bull gets me a ticket 

If not the mavic 2 pro  its a paoer weight

On 17/01/2021 at 18:47, Barnsley John said:

Taking my a2 cof c exam tomorrow  this will allow me fly nearer to people and buildings with a abovec250 g drone

In weight up to 2 kg

Lets see if the barnsley bull gets me a ticket 

If not the mavic 2 pro  its a paoer weight

How did you get on John? 

1 minute ago, GaryD1971 said:

How did you get on John? 

He's still probably signing in at reception 😉 The spell checker, may not be so good in their pen :bangshead:

8 minutes ago, Ian Kinder (Bagpuss) - Joint Peak District AO said:

He's still probably signing in at reception 😉 The spell checker, may not be so good in their pen :bangshead:

Here, you'll be needing this - :getmecoat:

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Blatman said:

Here, you'll be needing this - :getmecoat:

I know, the course is Online :bangshead:

• Haha 1