Newbie questions - sorry

ybotcoombes

21 minutes ago, ybotcoombes said:

power wise , 50% of me wants a mad powered car that does 0-6 in under 4 seconds , the other 50% would like to see this year out so is looking for something a little bit more sensible ( I have had quite a few little sports cars , Elise , booster ,2.8z4 s2000 etc , looking for something to match that kind of speed). I have a sensible car , so this is a toy (or mid life crisis)  for the weekends, although do like the idea of taking it on a track as well.

I wouldn't get too hung up on the absolute performance - its how it actually feels behind the wheel that counts.

My previous weekend toy was a 488bhp Fiat Coupe. Once rolling, it was stupidly fast (eg 30-130 in 11.2 seconds - quicker than an Audi R8 V8 or an Alfa Giulia Quad). My Westie only has about 170bhp, but feels far more exhilarating to drive, without having to get to licence-losing speeds.

Personally, I reckon c. 180-200bhp is probably the sweet spot for a "sporty" Westfield (as opposed to a "touring" Westfield, with luxuries like screen, carpet, heater, soft seats, etc).

Your previous car history suggests that you quite like a bit of performance, so I think a CVH or Pinto powered Westie is going to leave you a bit disappointed. You probably need to be looking at Zetec Blacktop, Duratec, Vauxhall Redtop etc in order to get a bit of "fizz". £8k might just get you into something like this, but it will possibly need a bit of tidying / tinkering (which is fine, as I see my tinkering as "personalisation")

I echo the comments above - buying a car through WSCC is likely to get you a much better car, with some known history. Unless you land VERY lucky, a cheap Westie is likely to have enough problems to put you off and taint your experience.

Final comment - don't automatically walk away from a Cat D. It doesn't take much to write a Westie off, but because of their simplicity, they can be repaired by someone that knows what they are doing. Mine is Cat D - an earlier owner clobbered the front left corner and bent the suspension wishbones and a couple of front-end chassis rails. It was professionally repaired and has been ultra-reliable ever since (and has been worked on by the likes of Matt at ProComp who said it was a quality repair and nothing to fret about)

Keep looking - you'll find something

• Thanks 1

Yeah, my second car is a CAT D Sigma engined car. The engine had four or five thousand miles on it when the original car was written off. (It was actually purchased by a friend of mine off another member on here. When it was recommissioned Westfield themselves exchanged the old damaged chassis for an entirely new one, it had new bodywork, new interior etc. Just retaining the barely used running gear.

As such, a properly returned to service CAT D  car can be a great way of getting in to a Westfield for a reduced cost, compared to non Cat D.

As you've noticed, prices have been creeping up- 8K might not be enough to get what you're looking for, to be honest. 

Echoing what others have said, always look within the club when possible, as you'll normally benefit from a more knowledgeable, enthusiastic seller

• Like 2

6 hours ago, ybotcoombes said:

Ah that’s interesting , I thought now would be a good time. Was surprised by the lack of cars / relatively high prices. I will keep that in mind. Have been looking through the sales adds on here, but everything seems to have gone + a lot of the cars are well out of my price range.

Top end of budget would be 8k (for something that ticks all the boxes and is in good condition) rather spend less if I can, to leave  money to sort anything that needs doing.

style wise , nice paint job , black wheels , cycle wings (rather than the long wings), aero screen, nice interior 

power wise , 50% of me wants a mad powered car that does 0-6 in under 4 seconds , the other 50% would like to see this year out so is looking for something a little bit more sensible ( I have had quite a few little sports cars , Elise , booster ,2.8z4 s2000 etc , looking for something to match that kind of speed). I have a sensible car , so this is a toy (or mid life crisis)  for the weekends, although do like the idea of taking it on a track as well.

cheers

Toby

I have a video somewhere of my standard S2000 chasing a mixed bag of Westfield’s out of a pub car park at a meet. It didn’t stand a chance. All Westfield's are pretty bl**** quick!

FOUND IT!

Excuse my set off, this is the moment I realised the front left tyre was some no brand piece of junk and the hedge wasn’t a great place to end up.

On 07/05/2003 at 14:12, minghis said:

I'm pleased to see someone doing a bit of homework before they go and try them.

My SE is for sale and I've had someone look at it who could only just fit in it, unfortunately he decided this after a test drive which was a bit scary as he couldn't operate the pedals properly as his feet were too big and his knees were fouling the dash panel. Not pleasant at all, especialy at the speed he was trying to do..

He was about 6' 3" and it wasn't ever going to be right unless he changed the seats.

Minghis.

33 minutes ago, Si.Dalziel said:

I have a video somewhere of my standard S2000 chasing a mixed bag of Westfield’s out of a pub car park at a meet. It didn’t stand a chance. All Westfield's are pretty bl**** quick!

FOUND IT!

Excuse my set off, this is the moment I realised the front left tyre was some no brand piece of junk and the hedge wasn’t a great place to end up.

I loved my S2000 but it was prone to biting you in the A***.

39 minutes ago, Si.Dalziel said:

FOUND IT!

It would have been class if someone overtook you🤣

I once got passed coming back down from hartside cafe🤣 not happening again 😜

16 minutes ago, wizzer said:

It would have been class if someone overtook you🤣

The 2 bikes following soon overtook me!

23 minutes ago, ybotcoombes said:

I loved my S2000 but it was prone to biting you in the A***.

Its much more fun now it’s had a serious weight reduction lol

27 minutes ago, wizzer said:

One of my favourites - not been passed in the Westy yet!

Just now, Chris King - Webmaster said:

One of my favourites - not been passed in the Westy yet!

To be fair swimbo was in with me, she was screaming at me, and there's no video evidence so it didn't really happen 😂