Van for kit collection

BobMet

I'll be collecting my new FW kit from the factory in February, everything except bodywork and trim. Although this will be my second Westfield build, its the first time I've bought the full kit including the Zetec engine, so in particular I'm wondering how the engine is packaged, whether a tail lift would help, and how best to unload it. I have an engine crane and easy level access into my garage. The factory recommends a LWB Luton, but all suggestions for van type and size from those who've been through this before would be very welcome.

I used a Luton box van with tail lift. Complete kit with bodywork, filled the floor area pretty well. Tail lift made removing engine/box easy. Also took some blankets and straps to secure engine to side of van.

IMHO WF are masters at packing it all in securely.

48944CC0-CE02-401F-8AA3-AF5C5D372FF7.thumb.jpeg.a84147555f1fe2ae9ce4ee764e958e07.jpeg

Without bodywork, it's surprising how small a van they can actually get it packed into. Even with bodywork, Ian and team are presumably Olympic gold class Tetris players!

However, just because they can pack it into relatively small areas doesn't mean it's a great idea, as it can make securing it and stopping parts bashing into each other harder than it needs to be. Also makes unloading a pain, as the small bits all have to come out first, and usually, you want the big stuff out first, so that the smaller boxes can be stored around it.

A tail lift does make life so much easier, too, specially by the end of a long day, and you need to climb up for yet another box. I now just get Luton body vans with tail lifts, almost by default.

Oh and charity shops are usually great for lots of old cheap blankets to wrap stuff up in. 

Luton van with tail lift is the best bet as you can walk the chassis and big parts out using the tail as a step. I had pretty much everything except the engine and gearbox so this will give you an idea of the space you need.

BA1164D8-B240-4DFA-AEB5-38E50A6A51F5.thumb.jpeg.75893384a6a49452b1d9de8cbb44927e.jpeg

If I had gone for the full cage earlier it would have been a lot tighter.

Thanks for the handy tips everyone. I'll go for a Luton with tail-lift.

Be prepared for another build log soon!

• Like 3

As I have just now realised you are on the scene after you posted on my build diary, I thought I had better read your posts.

If you have read some of my earlier stuff, you will have seen that I managed to get the factory to deliver my kit in their works van FOC. That is just a large standard van and we got the engine and everything in and out with just my engine hoist for the powertrain.

If you plead with them, they may deliver yours too as one of there team lives in Bridgnorth and they just gave him the van for the night and dropped my kit off on the way home.