New Beginner's Guide OUT OF DATE

Simon Waterfall Syman84

Happy new year 

The SSOT have been working to develop a new beginners guide, there has previously been one in 2012/13 but was that outdated it was worth us having another go.

This is not the exhaustive list of all requirments but as you will see this is aimed at giving a starting point rather than having to guide your way though the Motorsport UK Blue Book alone for the first time.

if anyone need any further clarifications or have questions please ask via the hotline and the SSOT will do their best to answer and keep this document updated regularly with any changes as and when notifcation is recieved.

upated 19.01.2021 to add new race suit approvals and towing point clarification.

A Beginners Guide to Sprinting and Hillclimbing.pdf

Edited by Rush Motorsport the 2nd
new version added
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 4

Thanks for the work pulling that all together Simon

Brilliant Guide!      I'm entering the speed series for the first time as a total novice and found this guide perfect for my needs and answered nearly all my queries.  Only 2 queries, being is the timing strut supplied at the event or made and fitted by the competitor and I'm in the under 2ltr road class, my car has a full cage which was previously FIA approved  K3  (K6)  but has rose jointed rear struts will it be ok? ( I'd prefer it to keep it than use a roll bar K1 with welded rear struts).

Mark, I have sent you an email to call me about the Cage and the timing strut

• 2 weeks later...

A tip off on the VSCC web site led me after 15 minutes of frustration to:

10.2.15. Towing point(s) of adequate strength and size are mandatory. They must be clearly identified and suitably marked
using a contrasting colour and be accessible to the front and rear of the vehicle.

I'm not sure what problem this is designed to fix, but will put a piece of yellow tape on my roll cage in the hope that it meets the new regs.

Its no use Googling Blue book to find these regs, they are hidden in the 'Resource Centre' on the  MSUK website,  tick 'Yearbooks by section'.

I should have been more specific. The information in the excellent beginners guide is incorrect in respect of towing points. 

13 minutes ago, Richard Houlgate said:

I should have been more specific. The information in the excellent beginners guide is incorrect in respect of towing points. 

Richard there have been a couple of items that slipped through the net on our final draft the changes to towing points included, I am making a couple changes for other bits and a new version of the beginners guide will be replaced at the start of this thread shortly.

thanks for the observations 

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Terry Everall - WSCC Competition Secretary said:

Richard, that is how I identify my Tow Points

I go the whole hog Terry and buy a scrutineers sheet off Ebay for £3.99. 

I actually use the yellow tape and next to it on a piece of white vinyl it says TOW in black permanent pen

• 2 months later...
  • John Loudon - Sponsorship Liaison pinned this topic
  • 9 months later...

I’m wanting to join the speed series for 2022 as a novice. Any tips and do’s and don’t ? I’ve got a 1.8 turbo in my Road legal SIEW, am I right in thinking class W1 is correct? Or do I have to go in modified ? Thanks in Advance 

• Terry Everall changed the title to New Beginner's Guide OUT OF DATE