Arduino based GoPro Controller

Ian Kinder (Bagpuss) - Joint Peak District AO

Ian Kinder (Bagpuss) - Joint Peak District AO

I've owned a GoPro Hero 7 black, since March and I've been un-impressed with how flaky it is especially when controlled via the Iphone App. I've read that their own £80 remote control is equally flaky! I don't want much, I just expect it to record when I ask it to and it's no fun when strapped in and it doesn't respond. Time is then wasted power cycling the GoPro and faffing with the phone app until it works!

Hence I've developed my own controller using a Arduino MKR1000

I can currently pair my controller to the Gopro, stop and start video recording, and also take a pic with the two buttons.

The only slight hurdle, is that I need to connect to the Gopro via Bluetooth on my Iphone before I can pair it over wifi.

Once I've road tested it for suitability in the car environment, I may move to an ESP32 based device with both Bluetooth and WiFi on or an Arduino MKR1010 with also has both.

Further work to include starting two camera's simultaneously and powering down the GoPro. 

• Like 4