Arduino based GoPro Controller

Ian Kinder (Bagpuss) - Joint Peak District AO

I've owned a GoPro Hero 7 black, since March and I've been un-impressed with how flaky it is especially when controlled via the Iphone App. I've read that their own £80 remote control is equally flaky! I don't want much, I just expect it to record when I ask it to and it's no fun when strapped in and it doesn't respond. Time is then wasted power cycling the GoPro and faffing with the phone app until it works!

Hence I've developed my own controller using a Arduino MKR1000

I can currently pair my controller to the Gopro, stop and start video recording, and also take a pic with the two buttons.

The only slight hurdle, is that I need to connect to the Gopro via Bluetooth on my Iphone before I can pair it over wifi.

Once I've road tested it for suitability in the car environment, I may move to an ESP32 based device with both Bluetooth and WiFi on or an Arduino MKR1010 with also has both.

Further work to include starting two camera's simultaneously and powering down the GoPro. 

• Like 4

• 9 months later...

I've given up with my flaky Gopro and their flaky support. It's gone back to Amazon and had a full refund after 18 months. I'm now carefully researching a replacement and it won't be a Gopro! @Kingsterare you happy with yours now i.e. did you get it replaced and the replacement is fine?

I wouldn’t touch a GoPro product after the last experience I had with one. 

• Thanks 1

I've only used mine a handful of times due to the same experience.... and you are correct, the remote is equally pants!

I've been eying up the motorbike front and rear camera systems like the Blueskysea with small 4 inch screen and fixed wired cameras

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Ian Kinder (Bagpuss) - Joint Peak District AO said:

Kingsterare you happy with yours now i.e. did you get it replaced and the replacement is fine?

Happy? It depends. 

The replacement seems to be fine - sort of- as I still can’t get proper telemetry while using the media mod. I bought this to save buying separate power and mic adapters. But the media mod is utter pants - pointless if it blocks the gps. So now use a foam sock to help wind noise and change batteries. 

Also if you do use the usb to power it, then you have to remove the battery. Because if you leave a battery in, then all it does is charge the battery and switches to battery power when full. Then dies! 🙄

So just take the battery out. Great idea, except that then means every time I turn off the ignition the camera stops - oh and it loses the date which requires setting before you can record. Wonderful when you are in the queue to get on track 🤬

Mine was a gift from my lovely wife, so yes I love it 😁👍

• Haha 3

4 hours ago, Ian Kinder (Bagpuss) - Joint Peak District AO said:

I've given up with my flaky Gopro and their flaky support. It's gone back to Amazon and had a full refund after 18 months. I'm now carefully researching a replacement and it won't be a Gopro! @Kingsterare you happy with yours now i.e. did you get it replaced and the replacement is fine?

Christmas is soon upon us stop messing about with go pro and get a proper camera on your xmas list. 

• Haha 1

I fancy the Aim SmartyCam. 

pros: fully integrates with the rest of my Aim gear (dash, gps, can expansion), is hardwired in and just works automatically, so you never need to press a button. 

cons: stupidly expensive!

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Kingster said:

Yeah, have looked at this a few times, but my word the price!

22 hours ago, Kingster said:

I fancy the Aim SmartyCam. 

pros: fully integrates with the rest of my Aim gear (dash, gps, can expansion), is hardwired in and just works automatically, so you never need to press a button. 

Also the video quality is questionable. For the money. If my memory serves correctly. 720p. 

2 hours ago, BenD said:

Also the video quality is questionable. For the money. If my memory serves correctly. 720p. 

I think it’s 1080p but still low res considering what’s available on the average mobile phone these days.