Covid 19, Thailand vs UK

Paul Hurdsfield - Joint Manchester AO

46 minutes ago, Lyonspride said:

The problem in the UK is that too many people are not as stupid as those in power actually believe

Then

Too many people just lack any concept of cross contamination

And 

People just don't get it,

So is everyone stupid or not? Your post contradicts itself?

We called in the local Tesco today for some bits and bobs.

The guy at the entrance squirted your hands as soon as you walked in the door.

Then you had to scan the QR code.

Then stand in front of the camera, which also took your temperature.

If all was well the barrier opened.

IMG_5122.thumb.jpg.4d420e16193aba36aeab6fd970bed0f4.jpg

• Like 2

Please keep these reports coming @Paul Hurdsfield it’s good to hear what other countries are doing as some of the UK media appears to have stopped employing journalists

• Like 2

Just before we left the UK I went to our ASDA local, I had my mask on in the car park before I went near the door. In front of me was a big guy followed by a youngish female with a child. The big guy walked straight in and wasn't challenged by the security guard, the guard then waved a mask at the female and said don't forget your mask, she pulled a mask from her pocket and waved it at the guard and said I'm doing it. Then she disappeared behind a gondola and put the mask back in her pocket, both of them had walked straight past the  sanitiser dispenser.

one of the habits I got into at home was stopping at the dispenser then standing in people's way while I rubbed it in my hands, so they couldn't just go charging by.

We (the UK) need to start locking shop doors and only opening them for each individual customer once they have masked up and sanitised.

Here there doesn't seem to be any exemptions to mask wearing, even young children are wearing masks.

I had a quiet word with the security people outside Morrisons about some clown wandering about inside without a mask. We're not allowed to challenge people not wearing a mask, he said. His female assistant agreed and said the bloke might be allergic to them. We've all gone blommin' crackers!! 

7 hours ago, Rory's Dad said:

I had a quiet word with the security people outside Morrisons about some clown wandering about inside without a mask. We're not allowed to challenge people not wearing a mask, he said. His female assistant agreed and said the bloke might be allergic to them. We've all gone blommin' crackers!! 

They want to avoid confrontation and I get that. What I don't get is doing a job where confrontation is part and parcel of the REQUIREMENT of the job. I bet if I ran out with a tenners worth of pic'n'mix they'd chase me all the way to my bicycle...

I would have reminded them that mask wearing is THE LAW and by not enforcing it on their premises they are accessories and may be inadvertently open to some sort of liability claim. OK, probably not. But would THEY know that? :devil: 

Of course it's not their job to enforce the law as they are security guards. So why do they chase shoplifters?

And I saw this yesterday...

Don't tell anti-maskers that a face mask protects against Covid-19. Tell them they prevent government 5G cameras and surveillance systems from tracking them.

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

I know it is easy to say but we should have made wearing a mask compulsory for everyone and stop giving excuses to people to hide behind an exemption.

We have a guy who collects goods from us, he claims exemption but is a fit young man so refuses to wear a mask. My staff refuse to let him in the building so we make him stand outside and we take the goods to him. We provide the service on our terms.

The companies who employ these security people simply need to say unless you provide a genuine exemption letter form you GP no mask not entry. Our Local M&S do this with no issue but perhaps in others shops there isn't the will to do it because they fear the inevitable arguments.

Make an example of a few in court and the problem will decline. 

Same as the lock down, went out for our walk last night where we saw groups of young people sat in the park together smoking and chatting away. Do their parents not have any control

• Like 1

1 hour ago, jeff oakley said:

unless you provide a genuine exemption letter form you GP no mask not entry. Our Local M&S do this

How would the folks at the front door verify the exemption letter is genuine? I reckon 10 minutes with any letter from the family GP, a scanner and a bit of typing and I'd have a "genuine" exemption knocked up, no problem.

I do appreciate that this is not something many of us would consider, but there are enough people out there that if suddenly they law were found to be enforced, exemption letters could be produced. Simply enacting a law is not good enough, as we know. It has to be robustly enforced. As Jeff says, lets get a few of them in to court...

Agree Jeff

They don't get further than blaming someone else and or have any form of responsibility.  We are too soft. All I hear is - its too confusing and I dont understand so I'm going to do what I want. Its just an excuse and confirms the lack of responsibility. 

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Arm said:

Agree Jeff

They don't get further than blaming someone else and or have any form of responsibility.  We are too soft. All I hear is - its too confusing and I dont understand so I'm going to do what I want. Its just an excuse and confirms the lack of responsibility. 

Every time I hear that I take the  opportunity to explain that the only thing we have to remember is to wear a mask, keep 6 feet away from people and wash yer 'ands when you get home and/or have some hand sanitiser with you just in case the place you are going isn't providing any.

I think people watch and listen to the news and with all the tier this and closed that and whatever, and they think they have to remember it all. The simple stuff (as much as I hate to trot out Govrnment mantra) hands, face, space, is lost in the noise.

• Like 3

On 03/01/2021 at 22:06, Steve (sdh2903) said:

Then

And 

So is everyone stupid or not? Your post contradicts itself?

Well, no because I didn't specify numbers. If 90% of people are stupid, and 10% are not stupid, but those in power think that we're all stupid (a common trait of those in higher level positions), then my statement is true :)

The problem is that for the minority that don't care if it causes them inconvenience is there is no real consequence of being an Ar$e. High profile stars of pop and football don't care. they get caught say sorry (not sorry at all just sorry they got caught) pay the fine, if implemented, out of loose change and carry on, being a little more careful about being caught but not changing their ways. (some have been caught out multiple times and are sorry each time).

If football/rugby clubs etc had to prove that any postponement of a match due to covid was not down to staff breaches otherwise they would forfeit the match, they would be clamping down on their players somewhat more as the consequence to the clubs would no longer be loose change.

as for GPs providing exemptions, that's not too difficult. that exemption would be registered against you, via you're name/Address/Ni and medical numbers etc so should it be needed it could be checked. 

If there had been a short sharp crack down early in the process where those not complying and just relying on intimidation and abuse of shop workers and security staff then had to deal with the police and face a fine there would not be an issue now. It would have only really taken co-operation between a number of key supermarkets and the local police to get the message over.

• Like 1

We went for a walk into town today.

this is second rd probably one of the busiest roads in Pattay in "normal" times.IMG_5144.thumb.jpg.7195fe988814ac4fbe88e74900ff1faf.jpg

then we cut through to beach Rd for our return journey.

IMG_5146.thumb.jpg.6d0d4e6701e663eac53cd3a35c98f240.jpg

There are no problems social distancing here.

IMG_5147.thumb.jpg.560ab4620317355dd94885d7069f2b68.jpg

• Like 1