Covid 19, Thailand vs UK

Paul Hurdsfield - Joint Manchester AO

Yesterday we checked out of our hotel in Phuket.

At the check out desk there were two pots, one marked sterile pens, one marked used pens, so when you signed anything, you took a 'clean' pen and when you've done you place it in the used pen pot, so avoiding cross contamination, of course there were the usual clear acrylic screens and everyone was wearing masks, if you went to the bar or to one of the restaurants your temperature was checked.

At the airport you had to scan in a QR code for track and trace, and had your temp taken.

One of the passengers on our flight went a bit OTT with the PPE :oops:

When we arrived in Pattaya I nipped out to the local corner shop, a 7-11, for a bottle of milk so we could make a brew. I was only going to be in the shop for two minutes, Temp taken, sign in with phone number and scan a QR code, of course all while wearing a mask all the time.

Can you imagine all this happening in the UK at the corner shop when all you want is a packet of fags or a bottle of milk?

IMG_4766.thumb.jpg.57ade789afe863400f83a40174162fbf.jpg

All the hassall getting here was worth it, and we are settled in now for the long haul. :sun:

Alfresco breakfast anyone?

IMG_4896.thumb.jpg.2900818e8db253e4b6f0079679a3065a.jpg

• Like 5

Here in Norfolk we've just been placed in Level 4. A good job imo. I dropped a son off in Norwich yesterday (house move) and, at one stage, we passed a queue of 10 cars coming in the opposite direction. So what were they all up to? 

Sadly UK society has become all about rights rather than responsibilities. Too many people are self-centred - it's all about them f*ck anyone else. 

2 hours ago, Rory's Dad said:

we passed a queue of 10 cars coming in the opposite direction. So what were they all up to? 

Could be for a number of reasons that they are perfectly allowed and able to do. Very easy to jump to conclusions. 

2 hours ago, Stuart said:

Sadly UK society has become all about rights rather than responsibilities. Too many people are self-centred - it's all about them f*ck anyone else. 

Another very sweeping statement tarring everyone with the same brush. 

Thailand looks very appealing @Paul Hurdsfield enjoy :sun:

"What were they up to" is a very loaded statement, often used rhetorically and accepted as implying a belief they were up to something, though.

Geez guys lighten up, this wasn't a post to create conflict, there is light at the end of the tunnel, we just have to hang on in there. Take a look at my second photo, everyone will get some sunshine and blue skies soon, I'm just very lucky that my youngest son b*****red off about 15 years ago and did all right for himself, now I can reap the benefits. 😎

Yes we seem at times to be inbetween those saying we should have done more and those saying I'm not being told what to do. The majority are in the middle sizing up the issues, adjusting and getting on with it. Facebook and I know I shouldn't read it is full of extremes of both side. Pistonheads news and politics section  makes your head spin. I struggle  not to rage at both sides.

It looks fantastic Paul hope you enjoy it out there as being over here is no barrel of laughs but perhaps between where they are and what we have done is a happy medium.

To me the big issue (and I am assuming here) in places where they have had success tend to be where rules are followed to the letter. Here as soon as changes are posted we have lots of people looking for the loopholes to still allow them to do what they want. There has been no clamp down on those I consider lunatics who have listened to celebrities (because obviously being on TOWIE means a degree in bio medicine is trumped) and they become the font of knowledge which they pass on as facts on social media with impunity.

We can get through this, where I work we deliver car parts to motor factors, all year we have had just 3 confirmed cases out of almost 400 staff I look after and we know they caught it elsewhere as the source is known. We have rules on hand washing, mask wearing, cleaning down and control of people in the branches so it is possible to work within the rules and stay safe.

Others are correct we do have a lot who think of just themselves, we had them, but by enforcing these in work they did as asked and it has become second nature now. outside of work no one enforces anything. Those who attended raves, those who attended mass protests should have been treated with a harsh response not just sent on their way.

Even in Tier 4 people can go about their work unless their workplace is forced to close.

My sadness is that we seem to be trying to vaccinate people now in such a poor way when I for one would turn up in the middle of the night to have the vaccine but they are doing so few I doubt that we will be anywhere near the targets by Easter. It may speed up as at the moment they are doing older people many of whom are confused and slow to get in and out, which is understandable as some may well have spoken with few for weeks.

I am optimistic the tide will turn by the summer of next year and things will get better

Herd immunity id guess is still the plan by exposure and or immunisation. Immunise the vulnerable / high risk/ exposed etc . Let the ones less likely to be affected be last for jab. Circa Easter before jab is wide spread enough. What's herd immunity forecast effectiveness for this virus, over 90 percent? 

We had a two week road trip planned,up to Chang mai, then the Mai Hong Son loop, but because of the current upsurge in cases we have cancelled that, certain parts of the country are going into lockdown now, so we'll  go back to Juniors house and slum it there 😎

its on a private walled estate with security barriers at the entrance, a lot of the houses are holiday lets and are empty, so there are very few people about, then Paul's has a high wall around it, you couldn't be safer in Porton Down👍

Porton Down must be a very dangerous place, with all the viruses and bacteria they've got there!😄😄

• Haha 1

On 29/12/2020 at 11:20, Stuart said:

The problem in the UK is that too many people are not as stupid as those in power actually believe, so they give us obviously conflicting information, they tell us to take illogical precautions, because the rules are designed for idiots and anyone with common sense can see it, anyone with kids knows how often you as a parent end up getting cold/flu or whatever is going around, yet the schools are open, and the masks are just to make it appear as if the govt is doing something, they did exactly the same in 1952 during the great smog, as was shown here in a Netflix "The Crown" from 2016.........

We needed more information, better information, better education and less wishy washy handy clappy facey space.
Too many people just lack any concept of cross contamination, they think as long as they have a mask and wash their hands they're safee, but what about the wallet you touched when your hands were not clean? your car keys? your handbag? your phone? the item you picked up in the shop and took home? sure you washed your hands, but did you wash the item before you picked it up again with your clean hands to put it away? People just don't get it, and that's because the facts were dumbed down so much that they become useless.