XI building in Western Australia

Dickim

Yesterday I went down to the Australian Importer of Westfield here in Perth, Western Australia, and I "think" they are importers for all of Australia. Interesting to see and sit in an XI in real life, and yes my fat ass did just fit! Was a little tighter than it should be due to having Westfield bucket seats fitted for the State Government inspection, require for 1st registration and then , at this stage NEVER again whilst remaining in registration and a compliance plate fitted and NO YEARLY MOT!  Each state is different, some require yearly inspections, some states will just not allow the XI to be registered. Interesting that, I understand, certain items, if fitted, would fail, but not fitted is o.k, so NO Doors, NO Windscreen (Perspex not allowed) yet 4 point racing harness is allowed but not in other states! Engines look like NOT being 1275 as unlikely to pass the emissions testing required, inc "CAT" W.A is so over regulated it's frustrating at times, that said given the current World / Covid situation, Perth as the most isolated capital city in the world is not the worst place to be👍

Am now going to wait until they have ironed out all the legal build issues so they can direct me through the process.....

• Like 1

That’s fantastic that you got to see and sit in one first hand, also that once they have it legally on the road, that they will be able to give first hand knowledge and advise to help you through the build.

Only problem now  is that having sat in one your “desire” level has just gone up 10 notches lol 

Hi,  Getting an XI through the UK's IVA sounds similar, although with pre-1975 engines the emissions test is 'no-visible smoke' and this is then printed on the registration documentation for subsequent MOTs that are annual after 3 years.

My car ready for IVA in 2018, first MOT is in 3 months time:

IMG_0237.thumb.jpg.e350ed4aaa026da846565e9192543f7e.jpg

IMG_0241.thumb.jpg.132a5947d0d2239254fe2f3ab105adb6.jpg

Looking good - do you run without the doors? Seaqts are the same as required here for rego and then changed if preferred. Headlamps here are required to be approx min 500mm from centre to floor.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Dickim said:

Looking good - do you run without the doors? Seaqts are the same as required here for rego and then changed if preferred. Headlamps here are required to be approx min 500mm from centre to floor.

Post IVA the car looks like the Westfield brochures - doors, aero screen, period rear mirrors, bucket seats etc.