Hi From Perth Western Australia

Dickim

Hi and Hello from Perth, Western Australia, however still a Pomm at heart (From Sth Yorkshire until 91).

Background is recently retired at 60 and looking at a project after my transition project (whilst I decided if I REALLY wanted to continue lecturing in Photography within the new P.C environment). That project was a Moto-Guzzi engined JZR Trike which I loved building but legal registration issues (Chassis torsion / twist certificate needed so found a donor motorcycle rego), here meant I ran it for a while (semi-rural and NO Police:orange-westy:) and then sold as the new owner didn't care!!!

Back in the 80's I built a "Karma" (sort of Dino replica on V.W chassis with RS1600 engine) and current stable is a 56 MGA, a 2012 Can-Am Spyder, and a 58 Big Healey I bought to restore and have now decided Toooo Much for me, and so now looking at a Westfield X1...... Sciatica was why I sold my Esprit and the need to go open top.

A little concerned that sourcing and the quality of MG Midget bits primarily Engine and Gearbox over here in Oz, and wondering / looking for advice on other options..........but do have relies over there who may be able to source and ship.

Other option is a "7" and lots of V6/8's over here as they love them - yes "they" as despite the years I still think of myself as a Yorkshireman, and Yes TIGHT:d

Mark

• Like 1

Welcome to the fold, a great story and wish you luck whichever route you go down.

handy having your own “shipping network “ here for those hard to source parts

Good luck

Thanks for the warm response guy's, and "Rush" know Chesterfield-ish well...was engaged to a Girl in that direction, was a Commercial Photographer at Sheffield Newspapers, (lived at Beauchief) and a Client was Shipstones brewery - still going ? my theory in business was when times are good people Smoke, Drink, Gamble, and when bad, Yup same😁 so had 3 Breweries 2 Bookie Chains and Benson & Hedges...don't smoke or gamble but do like a RED😉

Off to look at the W.A Importers Westfield's tomorrow, sounds like a great guy with a Wolverhampton accent and he used to work for Westfield, and pinged a few emails to get a feel for the MG Prices - plenty of "B: bits here but not the midget....... 

• Like 2

Hi Mark

If you want to register an Eleven in Western Australia you will be faced with some major hurdles that you may not be able to overcome.

Firstly is the height of the lights. The Australian Design Rules make an Eleven very difficult to meet the minimum light height. Others have tried before.

Secondly forget trying to register one with a MG engine. Australia is not like the UK that considers the new build to date from the donor car. It is taken from the date you apply for a build approval from the Dept of Transport. This means that currently you will have to use an engine complying with ADR 37/01 emmission regulations which means something year 2000 or later. None of the old engines will cut the mustard.

You will need to pass a 5 gas test and will need a catalysed fuel injected motor to get it over the line.

I hate to burst your bubble, but would hate to see you build a car and then find you cannot register it here.

One of the first things you must do is apply for a build approval, forms are on the Dept web site, and engage an engineer. The choice of engineer is also important.

We also have a very good club in Perth that can assist you with advice through the process.

Regards

Greg O'Brien 

President

Sports Car Builders Club of Western Australia 

(and fellow Westfield owner)

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Greg and thanks for that, Yes got caught out when I built the JZR Trike! had the permission etc but ran out of time due to getting approval before being able to source kit, engine and ship etc.....plus no-way it would pass torsion/twist test, but as I built it for "Therapy" as I considered retiring it was cheap therapy!

Been talking with Westfield as they work their way through, and won't order till assured of the outcomes - at present their biggest issues is tuning the motor to meet regs (I think it's from the MX5) lights etc all seem to have made it through (I know in the U.K they fit a temporary "pod" to raise the height) and they removed the doors as no intrusion bars (u.k do same) and moving fuel tank inwards 10mm as too close to body.

I enjoyed coming to the club meeting a few weeks ago, and look forward to joining, and more fellowship, and next time may have access to some brand new Toyota engines!!!!  Long Story

Mark

P.S Ant Ansteads MX% based Tipo 164 looks interesting.........

• Like 1