What's involved in being an Area AO?

TableLeg

Often wondered what's involved.

What if any are the requirements of the club on an AO?

Interested to know if anyone cares to share.

It takes no effort to become one, but it will require effort to remain one.  I gave up after a couple of times driving to a pub, only to drink on my own...

It all depends on what you want out of it?  Want to go out for regular drives?  Organise it!  Want to meet up at the pub?  Organise it!

In short, there are no requirements to become one, and other than the occasional write up for the magazine, nothing is compulsory.

That reminds me, I still have the WSCC banners in my garage for our area...

• Like 1

@TableLeg there is a wscc 'guidlines' document you should read.

Can't remember where it is, @Ian Tolfree (tolf) - WSCC AO Rep??

Sometimes it can feel a joy and easy, sometimes a chore and hard work.

But it is a commitment that should be taken seriously as there are a few expectations.

- Regular AO report for WW.

- Regular local meet organisation.

But plenty of support will be given by committee.

• Like 1

Thanks for the reply.

I should add though I am only curious as to what is involved. I don't have any plans to put myself forwards for it.

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, TableLeg said:

I don't have any plans to put myself forwards for it.

Neither did I. @Rory's Dad

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, TableLeg said:

Thanks for the reply.

I should add though I am only curious as to what is involved. I don't have any plans to put myself forwards for it.

https://forum.wscc.co.uk/forum/applications/core/interface/file/attachment.php?id=52385

This link should give you an idea about being an AO.

any questions, drop me a line

• Thanks 3

7 hours ago, Rory's Dad said:

So why ask the question?!!! 

What's the problem with asking questions???

I said I was curious about it that's all.

2 hours ago, TableLeg said:

What's the problem with asking questions???

I said I was curious about it that's all.

Absolutely, we welcome all and any members to explore the role, as the more AO's we have the better, this great club can be. Ignore the comments above, which could be taken as negative! I'm sure this isn't the intention of those who've either done the role in the past or are current AO's.

• Like 3

Being a good AO requires good members to give you support. There is nothing more soul destroying than to work hard at arranging things only for the first sign of rain everyone cry off.

But there is nothing more uplifting when you have a good area where everyone wants to be part of it and do things as an area. 

I m not blaming people here as we all have things in life more important but my experience of being an AO was 90% good and I never regretted it at all

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Agree with  @jeff oakley  as ordinary members the most help we can give our AO is to respond as quickly as possible to requests, and then try to stick to the plan. The absence of a roof makes that more difficult in bad weather for us soft southerners (Sorry @Tim (TimDave25) - Joint Thames Valley AO )

• Thanks 1

I've been an AO for a long time and the role is not very demanding.

- 4 times a year write a few words for the magazine about what your area has been up to. You can ask people for input and as long as you've had some meets or talk to people you will find the words flow. If not you can always write about what you have been doing with your car.

- attend regular meets. This can be as easy as sending out an email giving a date and time then sitting in a car park. I found my area had dried up because the meets weren't happening regularly so all I did was be consistent. We now have a great core or members to attend regularly and some who attended every now and again. Some once a year or even once every ten years. The point is that you don't expect too much, people have so many commitments in life it's nice to be out even if occasionally. 

Don't feel pressured to create events... Just driving to the regular meets and chatting in a car park is enough for some. Once you get to know what happens locally you tend to get invited to events like car or village shows which all you need to do it turn up and normally get free entry.

If you find your local members keen to do certain things then use their enthusiasm. They can organise a drive and you do the communication to the masses. Obviously don't forget to give credit where it's due.

I'm happy to answer any questions.

• Thanks 3