IVA- Kit cars are tested to 'Basic IVA' and NOT 'Normal IVA'

Ian Kinder (Bagpuss) - Joint Peak District AO

I've just been made aware of some very subtle wording in the IVA Manual here- https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/iva-manual-for-vehicle-category-m1

Kit cars fall under 'Basic IVA'

image.png.03555feb95c242efc6ca25531f31d752.png

Ensure that the headings for the section you're interested in state BASIC 

e.g.

image.png.59e25421ebba1704f4e0aad50e3ebf38.png

Rather than 

image.png.7f7fae56af9a03125b509c3bcfdc1075.png

In some areas to be tested, the normal requirements are more stringent etc.

Hence, I've slimmed down and edited the latest guide to show only the basic requirements. See attached.

215149026_IVAJUSTBASICl-inspection-manualDec2020.pdf

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

It’s been this way since the days of SVA. Amateur built cars have always enjoyed a reduced standard of testing compared to those built by businesses etc.

• Thanks 1

• 11 months later...
15 minutes ago, Wylton said:

It's really confusing for amateurs like me!  I think we'll get ours to standard as best as we know how & then see what it fails on!

We're all amateurs!

When I built mine I tried as hard as I could to make it pass rather than “see what it fails on” - think positive 😁 

Just follow the manual and you will not go far wrong 👍 

24 minutes ago, Kingster said:

We're all amateurs!

When I built mine I tried as hard as I could to make it pass rather than “see what it fails on” - think positive 😁 

Just follow the manual and you will not go far wrong 👍 

Yes indeed.  Part of the issue is it being an older car, whose build has never been completed, hence features of the original car my not be up to spec, and also, not being the owner, some of it is out of my hands, but I am doing my best to keep the project on track!

@Wylton i can guarantee one thing. If you join here as a full member (your trial membership will be over far too soon!) it will be the best value for money you will ever get on a car you are building. The advice you will receive from the very experienced builders on here is worth it’s weight in gold. 

• Like 4

@kingster thanks. I made some headway with some design issues with the owner this week.  It seems that the car has a steering lock (we hadn't taken the key out when we tried it), so it wont need an immobiliser after all.  I also removed the repeaters from their location on the side of the body & re-routed the cables for the new position on the mudguards.  I had been puzzling over how to insulate the battery positive terminal, but some heat shrink and some rubber mat will sort that.  We're working on the car together this weekend, so hopefully, we'll get a lot done!  The kill switch, which the tester won't like in the current position, will be flushed off & we'll  make a decision about that later.

Edited by Wylton
  • Like 2