Sourcing Midget parts for a westfield XI

BReynard

I have been doing some more checking and would agree with you that the answer is a set of new dampers and springs.

The Westfield build guide gives front damper dimensions as 11.5" open, 9.5" closed, i.e. 2" travel.

My O.E. 1984 Spax dampers are 12.5" open, 9.5" closed, i.e. 3" travel, so although they start off with 1" more length than the current units, they have 50% more travel. Screwing the pre-load up to the maximum would probably fix the tyre clearance problem, but ruin the damping effect and handling,with the units 'topping' when the suspension is not loaded. The Swiftune Formula Junior sump with raised engine mounts is interesting. I have made a massive alloy sump guard, bolted to the block, the sump and the bell housing. I have also fitted a shallower oil filler cap from a Citroen GSA which will give more bonnet clearance so that I too can raise the engine mounts.

Many thanks for your help, I can now plan the way forward.

Sump guard.JPG

Sump guard alloy.JPG

• Like 2

I've had the inter cooler for a while, seems a simpler solution than the clutter of an oil cooler and pipework.

The dynamo is temporary, waiting for a Dynator with cable rev counter drive to come into stock.

Following careful measurement I find that 13" front dampers will fit, gaining 1/2" extra ground clearance. Raising the engine mountings will gain a bit more and I am waiting to find out the cost of a Swiftune Formula Junior sump. If it's realistic I then need to decide on whether to replace the sump and alloy guard. Decisions, decisions....

Now that's really interesting re the intercooler as I haven't seen one before.

I was going to fit an oil cooler but this looks like a more elegant solution. Where about is it plumbed into the cooling system and how does its effectiveness compare to a regular oil cooler?

Morris.

Morris,

They perform a twin function, of speeding up the oil getting to temp (as coolant heat ups much faster) and then helping it from getting too hot. They were a fitment on some minis and metros, IIRC.

I'm not sure where they used to be plumbed in on my minis, but on an XI I'd be tempted to run the heater hose off the back of the head and through the cooler before going into the main hoses.

6 hours ago, DIY-Si said:

Morris,

They perform a twin function, of speeding up the oil getting to temp (as coolant heat ups much faster) and then helping it from getting too hot. They were a fitment on some minis and metros, IIRC.

I'm not sure where they used to be plumbed in on my minis, but on an XI I'd be tempted to run the heater hose off the back of the head and through the cooler before going into the main hoses.

I've just been reading up on it in the Vizard A-Series tuning book. As they put more thermal load into the cooling system, a standard MG radiator may not cope.

They were used on the MG Metro where the radiator was much larger (I'm using one on my XI).

Apparently the o-ring seal on the MG Metro unit is obsolete and the actual intercooler is virtually impossible to find now in good condition.

The Morris Minor owners club forum details using an alloy Citroen intercooler where the seal is the same as that used on the filter itself, and two Mocol adaptor bolts are used to connect the filter housing to the filter.

Looks like a good idea to me.

Sorry to temporarily hijack the dairy but I'd not come across this before and this arrangement looks very useful for my own build.

Morris.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Morris said:

Looks like a good idea to me.

Sorry to temporarily hijack the dairy but I'd not come across this before and this arrangement looks very useful for my own build.

If the oil needs a touch of cooling, but not much or just occasional cooling, it is a much neater way than using an oil cooler, associated pipe work and thermostat. Plus if there's a modern equivalent, it'll almost certainly be cheaper too.

Also, this isn't mine or anyone else dairy. Or diary either for that matter! 😉

8 hours ago, DIY-Si said:

Also, this isn't mine or anyone else dairy. Or diary either for that matter! 😉

Too true, if we were discussing a dairy we'd also be in the wrong forum...😁

• Haha 1

The Flexolite Slick Cooler may no longer be available, as Flexolite have been taken by Vintage Car Parts. The actual manufacturer is probably Modine (it is stamped on the inside of the cooler). Do Mocal market a similar product?

I am running a water feed to the cooler from the water temp sensor outlet on the front of the cylinder head and from the cooler to link in with the return pipe from the heater matrix. I have fitted a Citroen CX heater matrix and heater control valve fed from the heater outlet at the rear of the cylinder head. In the 'off' position the CX heater valve by-passes the matrix and directs water flow back to the cooling circuit. I wanted to have a constant cooling flow from the rear of the cylinder head. I hope that by having water constant flow from both front and rear of the head doesn't cause an unforseen problem. I have also blanked off the cylinder head to block by-pass hose. If any of this spells disaster, let me know before the engine is dropped into the car.....

Flexolite leaflet.JPG

Flexolite Slick Cooler.JPG

Heater valve CX.JPG

Cooling circuit.JPG

Personally, I wouldn't be using the temp sender port for anything other the a sender due to its size and location. I can't see it being beneficial to the flow through the head.

If it were mine, I'd be running the heater outlet off the back of the head as you've done, and then into the oil cooler. The outlet from the cooler then goes into the radiator return hose. Essentially, I'd be treating the heater and cooler as a second radiator path.

148579736_Coolingcircuit.JPG.17df170dd54d06188b27b59da211cce0.jpeg~2.jpg

Edited to add:

Have you any photos of the heater itself? I'm considering fitting a heater to my XI, but obviously need something really compact.

That design would simplify the plumbing and the cooler would still have a constant flow, whether the heater matrix is in or out of circuit.

I'll take a photo tomorrow. The Citroen CX matrix and tap is probably not the best option, a simpler set up would be better, but I had one and it fitted. 

I cut four largish holes above the 'centre console' where the heater matrix would sit to let the warm air down into the passenger compartment, then boxed in the triangular compartment as per the photo and fitted a 'directional' vent grille on either side to deflect air to the footwells.

Next I made an alloy box to fit over the matrix with a tube in the side to attach to the blower with an off cut of motor cycle inner tube. The box is lined with thin insulating material and the matrix supported on rubber strips to prevent vibration or chafing. The motor is wired through a resistor to give variable speed although in hindsight just on or off would be sufficient. It blows sufficient air and should take the chill off and blow cool air likewise in hot weather, not fantastic, but better than nothing. The blower, insulation and directional grilles all came from Car Builder Solutions. I will fit an air intake duct to the blower to either take air in through a hole/grille in the dashboard or from the near side pontoon. There is no doubt a better matrix and valve than the one from the Citroen CX, the tubes from the valve point in the wrong direction and require too much modification to get a 'nice' installation! I had one of them and they are fitted, but I can always fit a more suitable, simpler and more efficient unit at a later date. If anyone wants a CX heater valve I have one spare.

Heater matrix CX 3.JPG

Heater matrix CX 5.JPG

Heater outlet in footwell.JPG

Heater top view.JPG

• Thanks 1

• 1 month later...
On 02/02/2021 at 19:30, DIY-Si said:

Personally, I wouldn't be using the temp sender port for anything other the a sender due to its size and location. I can't see it being beneficial to the flow through the head.

If it were mine, I'd be running the heater outlet off the back of the head as you've done, and then into the oil cooler. The outlet from the cooler then goes into the radiator return hose. Essentially, I'd be treating the heater and cooler as a second radiator path.

148579736_Coolingcircuit.JPG.17df170dd54d06188b27b59da211cce0.jpeg~2.jpg

Edited to add:

Have you any photos of the heater itself? I'm considering fitting a heater to my XI, but obviously need something really compact.

Thanks for that. I'm going to use your plumbing scheme which will give better cooling to the rear of the cyl head and make the plumbing less cluttered....

• 3 weeks later...

Sourcing Midget parts for a Westfield XI?

If anyone is looking for a donor Sprite/Midget for an X1 build, there is an interesting one on eBay with a K series 170 bhp motor, Ford Mk 9 box, LSD, rear disc conversion and other good bits. Not sure how easily the K series engine would fit? Also a shame to break it but would easily sell on the parts not required....

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/224428073025?_trksid=p11021.c100851.m5053&_trkparms=aid%3D1110006%26algo%3DHOMESPLICE.SIM%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D20170803121420%26meid%3D7cad2a33b1784826895107f43b6e1f84%26pid%3D100851%26rk%3D4%26rkt%3D4%26mehot%3Dnone%26b%3D1%26sd%3D224426434232%26itm%3D224428073025%26pmt%3D0%26noa%3D1%26pg%3D11021%26algv%3DDefaultOrganic&ul_noapp=true

• 3 months later...
14 minutes ago, noweshop said:

I think WeDoi has suitable car accessories for you! WeDoi is the world's leading online wholesale supplier of the latest auto parts.

Never heard of them. Do they supply Midget parts??