13” or 15” wheels.

Steve (sdh2903)
47 minutes ago, AndrewOBW said:

People talk a lot about the lack of tyre choice for 13s, but there's plenty available. If you want budgets you can get budgets. If you want more track friendly tyres, there are loads. 15s may have a bigger choice, but there isn't a shortage of 13s. I've only ever driven my Westie on 13s, but having swapped wheels around on other vehicles, a bigger sidewall makes for a way more enjoyable ride on the road! 

Yeah that's the point. There's budgets and then track tyres. Very little in between.

Even less when you get over 185 wide. For example camskill have 6 tyres in 185/60/13 and 2 of them are ditch finder brands. They have 105 in 195/50/15

And even in the past 12 months I've noticed some of the more decent brands that were available in 13s are starting to disappear. 

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Steve (sdh2903)

• Chris King - Webmaster

• Rush Motorspork

• AndrewOBW

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Not if you join the WSCC track day gang! 

When I ran the old car I run full wets 185 all round getting the power down was not a issue you can have to wide a tyre and not get the heat in or have the weight to push it down, Found a old vid

I much prefer 13” on the road to 15”.  As @Weekend Warrior says the ride is much better on the back roads, more compliant and comfortable.    If it’s purely a tyre choice then yes 15’s are pref

Posted Images

Chris King - Webmaster
Just now, AndrewOBW said:

Plenty of fun to be had in a westy in just about any weather, track day or no!

Well I didn’t find 9hrs in biblical rain across Germany/Austria much fun!

AndrewOBW

1 minute ago, Steve (sdh2903) said:

Yeah that's the point. There's budgets and then track tyres. Very little in between.

Even less when you get over 185 wide. For example camskill have 6 tyres in 185/60/13 and 2 of them are ditch finder brands. They have 105 in 195/50/15

And even in the past 12 months I've noticed some of the more decent brands that were available in 13s are starting to disappear. 

Do you need 105 different options though? The likes of the NS2Rs on 13s can handle nearly any conditions. Straight line braking when it's seriously wet isn't the best experience, but beyond that they're plenty capable for road use! 

• Like 1
Steve (sdh2903)

No granted but it was just to highlight the point. 

For my car a 185 just isn't wide enough on the back. Well unless you can drive like @AdamR that is :d. So that leaves r888r or Avon zzr/zzs. I can get a full set of Michelin ps3 in 15s for the price of 1 Avon.

Davemk1

I switched from 15's to 13's on the road a few years ago and can't imagine ever going back. Better handling, smoother ride, better looking (IMHO) and lighter.

Dave

DSC_6125.jpeg

• Like 1
Steve (sdh2903)

What's the tyre availability for 13s over there @Davemk1 would be thought they'd be even more scarce? 

Steve20

Been thinking of switching my 15s to 13s for a while, what’s the general consensus on rim width, offset, tyre size and tyre choice for 90% plus road usage.

Appreciate I am likely to be opening a can of worms here, however need some advice please...

Davemk1
48 minutes ago, Steve (sdh2903) said:

What's the tyre availability for 13s over there @Davemk1 would be thought they'd be even more scarce? 

I have no way to compare how scarce 13's are over here compared to there. I know there aren't that many choices here but there are still more than enough. I found plenty of performance tires to choose from and don't worry at all about getting more when the tires I'm using wear out.

dave

AdamR
6 hours ago, Steve (sdh2903) said:

For my car a 185 just isn't wide enough on the back. Well unless you can drive like @AdamR that is :d

Chicken and egg situation... you don't get good at driving without learning. And a car that moves around a bit, progressively, at safer speeds, teaches you a lot 👍

13" every time for me. Road tyres for road use. As much grip as you need, wet or dry, hot or cold.

• Like 1
Rush Motorspork

So in conclusion, the answer to the question of 13s or 15s is....buy an mx5

Steve (sdh2903)
14 minutes ago, Rush Motorspurt said:

So in conclusion, the answer to the question of 13s or 15s is....buy an mx5

With which size wheels? 

• Haha 1
Chris King - Webmaster
3 hours ago, AdamR said:

you don't get good at driving without learning. And a car that moves around a bit, progressively, at safer speeds, teaches you a lot

Double drives in the munter then @a15cro 😁

a15cro
12 hours ago, Chris King - Webmaster said:

Double drives in the munter then @a15cro 😁

I’ll make sure the nits are tight next time! 😂

Chris King - Webmaster

...and the nuts 👍