3.5 V8 Oil Filter

Andy_R

Does anyone know if a remote oil filter & cooler was standard on the 3.5 V8's?

Can you fit a standard oil filter to the engine or does it need to be remote?

AndrewBClarke

Hi Andy

Mine is a remote 'modus' (I think) filter with a standard VFL109 filter

No oil cooler.

Hope all is well

ABC

Down to the front left of the rocker cover - not a good photo of what you are looking for but hopefully a help -

IMG_3338.JPG.84cad1de12d38a4ee23a3dbfbb4d6250.JPG

• Like 1
Quinten

Coincidence or not, but I've just read the Seight parts list (1999 edition) and it says that a remote filter is standard supplied.  Mine certainly is.  I haven't had a look yet at where the original location is, but I can imagine it fouling the steering column maybe?

• Like 1
Andy_R

Thanks @AndrewBClarke & @Quinten.

My remote filter is in exactly the same place as the picture but there was a very slight fouling of the steering column from a bolt on the unit it feeds into.

As the original parts list says it's standard then I'm going to assume it's smaller than a standard filter and will keep it ... I might look for a lower profile bolt (or shave a little of the existing bolt head) to stop the fouling issue.

As for an oil cooler ... it's in a really difficult place to get to if there is ever a problem so I might remove it completely from the system.

• Like 1
Quinten

My remote filter is mounted on the front of the chassis, above where newer cars have the battery fitted.  No oil cooler either (afaik).

• Like 1
Andy_R
46 minutes ago, Quinten said:

No oil cooler either (afaik)

I'm setting the car up for touring rather than track so unless there is a big argument against my decision I think taking out the oil cooler makes sense. It reduces the cost of the re-build and saves me some space as well. 

Jenko

It is possible to fit one without a remote take off.....BUT....you would need used very thin filter like the Renault 5 filter. this just about clears the wishbone bush. Most go with the remote take off, you can then fit a larger filter. 

Re oil coolers...again, it depends if your oil is getting too hot during the sort of driving you do. So, no doubt you will hear two sides this argument. Sometimes it can help with a 'non ideal' cooling system. Some suggest that if the cooling system is good then it's not needed, other run very high power engines on a track and it is absolutely needed. Im just finishing off my build, and it currently has no cooler, but if I find oil is getting too hot, then I'll install one.

I think the V8's (like most cars), like the oil to be optimum temp, so you need to be careful you don't overcool, this is where a stat comes comes in.

• Like 1
John Dolan - Chairman

This is the adapter plate for a remote filter fitted to the oil pump. Don’t think you could get an oil filter in there.

image.jpeg

• Like 1
Andy_R

Thank you again for the advice.

My adaptor plate is similar and it's that bolt head near the steering column that is fouling. 

I'll definitely keep the cooler and all the brackets but won't fit it to start with.