Good morning from a newcomer.

ianali

Hi everyone. Have just purchased my first kit car. It’s a green SEiW on an 06 plate. Very tidy condition. There are a few small jobs I will be doing on the car, but really it is good to go as it is. Previous owner kept it beautifully. I am very happy 😃. Previous owner was a member here, so the car may be known to the forum. Regards, Ian.

:ww: We like car pics!

1 minute ago, Ian Kinder (Bagpuss) - Joint Peak District AO said:

:ww: car pics are mandatory 

Fixed that for you 

• Haha 1

Welcome! Looking forward to the pics!

Welcome from sunny Scotland, glad to have you aboard and hope you get a lot of enjoyment from her.

its been over an hour and still no pictures...... 🤣

Welcome and hope you get the chance to have a good blat out before Lockdown limits.

50 minutes ago, Chris Broster - Bristol & Bath AO said:

Welcome and hope you get the chance to have a good blat out before Lockdown limits.

Picked car up Saturday. Rained lots for most of the 2plus hours drive home. Apart from some misting problems, cured by wife Ali and a cloth, we had a great drive home. Laughed all the way. Was out for a good drive yesterday on the(mainly)dry roads. Wonderful, should have brought one of these years ago. Absolutely barking mad ain’t they. Lockdown will give me time to go over the car and find bits to do. Have a small star crack on rear, just above light cluster. Not sure of best way to deal with this? Sticker over and forget? Repair gel coat? Not a lot else to do I don’t think. Sure il find bits though when i start looking further. 

• Like 1

Amongst the first things I’d suggest doing, is going over the whole car and giving it a good “spanner check”; in other words check all the fasteners are correctly tight - cars like Westfields do not have all the niceties of NVH (Noise, Vibration, Harshness) treatments, the way day to day cars have, and have massively improved upon, since the eighties. As a result, and helped by firmer suspension etc, they give all the nuts and bolts etc, a much harder time, than a modern tin top would, so certain elements need a regular eye kept on them.

(please don’t panic and think they’re constantly trying to unscrew themselves though!)

Don't forget while checking all the nuts and bolts are properly tight, to also check hose clips on the plumbing - especially important if a previous owner has used lots of pretty silicon hoses!!

Tyre pressures is another one to get used to, in such light cars as these, a few psi either way, makes big differences, and generally, they need much lower pressures than the average tin top. Most start at around 18/20 psi and work from there. (The previous owner should be able to help, here).

Unless there’s something you know you specifically need, don’t necessarily rush into lots of upgrades; if you can, take some time, drive the car in different conditions and environments, get to know the car, and find out what it needs. You often find, there are some improvements that you thought were desperately needed, that once used to the car, become unnecessary, and some that you hadn’t even considered that become important, to you. But most of all, have fun!

Hi Ian

I was a newbie just a couple of years ago, but I've found this forum to be extremely friendly and unbelievably helpful - I feel like I've been here for ages....

My own car has quite a few gelcoat cracks and scuffs, but it looks fine from twenty paces, so I haven't bothered (yet) to deal with it. Instead, I've enjoyed tinkering and personalising the car - a few carbon bits, some new tyres, a proper geometry set up and a rolling road session to iron out a bit of rough running.

pics are compulsory, BTW... 😉

Welcome from South Derbyshire!

Great aren't they!? I'm a relative newbie (just over a year) and I'm on my second Westfield and covered around 5000 (s)miles in mine 😁

As others have said, this is a great club and an amazing community of helpful, friendly people. It's as much about that as it is the cars themselves, enjoy! 👍

Thanks for all the messages and welcomes. On the subject of checking nuts and bolts etc. What do people do for getting cars in the air? Where/are their jacking points? Ramps better? 

Rear - jack up using the diff. 
Front - find a bit of the chassis near front wishbones where a few of the sections come together from different angles. Either side will do. 

• Like 1

Couple of pics. Been so busy out playing in it, that I forgot to get any good ones. Will pop better ones on soon. 

71189F3C-E236-42C9-88C8-05D860A9AC9D.jpeg

84405D9A-10E5-4C7E-B4C9-358FB5697CB2.jpeg

• Like 6