A mooch about Moffat.

Steve (sdh2903)

With a break in the rain it'd be rude not to. 

Headed from home to Moffat and did the loop to Innerleithen, peebles, Broughton and back down past the devil's beef tub towards Moffat. 

20201030_124017.thumb.jpg.6a5029649cffcc0307f0a3949b7d2ccf.jpg

20201030_124100.thumb.jpg.6d896a06be37f23bf4105d9d91198437.jpg

20201030_124735.thumb.jpg.82b7431d72d34c538058bc91dc1d80c7.jpg

20201030_124753.thumb.jpg.3f446200c3f89b9fdb6c2cfa575b79c1.jpg

Then went a bit off planned piste and got lost. Ended up in elvanfoot, over to Leadhills, Wanlockhead and mennock. 

Then found the lovely a702 from Carronbridge back up to elvanfoot. 15 miles of smooth fast flowing A road with fabulous scenery and no traffic in sight, fabulous. 

20201030_135436.thumb.jpg.f194db79176e27ca9dd39a10d63ddcd2.jpg

I did take a few vids aswell which I've cobbled together into a short edit. Excuse this it's my first time editing a video and excuse the cheesy music. 

• Like 7

Often when you get lost they turn out to be the best drives.

Stunning scenery....👍.

• Thanks 1

looks great!! Lovely scenery and a fab car

• Thanks 1

Glad you enjoyed the Dalveen pass - my local road, you could have popped in for a brew!

Dave.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Davep1 said:

Glad you enjoyed the Dalveen pass - my local road, you could have popped in for a brew!

Dave.

You certainly have some lovely roads on your doorstep dave. But yes the dalveen pass :love:

• 11 months later...

The loop off the M74 past Leadhills & Wanlockhead, drop down to the A76 then back up the A702 (Pass of Dalveen) is an absolute must if you are in that area.  I took part in an RSOC drive to John o' Groats and led my friends along these roads on the way back.  They loved it.

Of course, we finished off by going from Abington down the Devil's Beef Tub road (A701) to the Moffat "tourist trail" - pie supper in the chippy on Church Street, a home made ice cream in the sweet shop opposite then into the Moffat Toffee shop to gawp at all the shelves full of bottled sweets (and there is also the huge selection of Whiskies at the back of the shop should that be your preference!)

It is such a shame that this is all 325 miles from mine -or I'd get up there much more regularly.

Although the Dalveen and Mennock passes have the dramatic scenery, I prefer the less-attractive 3rd sister, the Crawfordjohn-Sanquhar B740 - longer and squigglier.

• 4 weeks later...
On 08/10/2021 at 12:54, BigSkyBrad said:

Although the Dalveen and Mennock passes have the dramatic scenery, I prefer the less-attractive 3rd sister, the Crawfordjohn-Sanquhar B740 - longer and squigglier.

Just do all 3 ;) its a great half day run for me, although from memory the b740 whilst squigglier is also a bit bumpier?

• 6 months later...

Sorry Chris @Kingster Ive only just seen this. I was snowed under at work all day anyways. Hope you boys have a great trip.

When you heading back down?

4 hours ago, Steve (sdh2903) said:

When you heading back down?

Monday Ullapool to Pitlochry - then Tuesday Pitlochry to Newcastle 

• 3 months later...

Some nice shots and some great roads!

Worth noting if you're ever back down this way that Moffat now has the Esso Supreme+ 99 octane in petrol station next to the big park. Maybe just a placebo effect but it "feels" better than Vpower and is apparently ethanol free.