New member looking for a westfield

James16

Hi there, thought I should take the time to introduce myself after reading so much on here.

My names James, im 27 and have just moved to Nottinghamshire. I've been into cars, motorbikes and push bikes for as long as I can remember. I've finally got a house with a garage to keep my motorbike (picture below) in and some money in my pocket to buy a 'proper' car. (Although a low budget compared to some!)

I've wanted a westfield for quite some time after driving a few 'sports' type cars in the past but really would like a true drivers car now that I have a daily driver too.

I do have some questions regarding ownership im hoping can be answered on here. The biggest question i have is the possibility of keeping one outside with a roof fitted and a car cover over it? I have read about the hard-core people who drive these year round, and the people who barely take them out. After taking measurements I dont think one will fit in my garage with the other things in there. Or must I wait until I get a car port fitted? (Its a new house so certain restrictions are in place)

Anyway - apologies for the perhaps far too long introduction, hopefully I will be in a car soon and can stop living vicariously through members of this site!

IMG-20200723-WA0023.jpg

• Like 3

Hello James!

Welcome - definitely great move in joining... that's how I ended up getting my first Westfield a few months back! Can't answer your storage question with any authority so will leave that to those with some experience in it to offer certainty but I would imagine it's possible with the right care and attention.

Welcome and enjoy!!!

1 minute ago, AngliaWestie said:

Hello James!

Welcome - definitely great move in joining... that's how I ended up getting my first Westfield a few months back! Can't answer your storage question with any authority so will leave that to those with some experience in it to offer certainty but I would imagine it's possible with the right care and attention.

Welcome and enjoy!!!

How are you finding it? Did you build your own or buy one done? Hope your enjoying it!

I like the road you are going on @James16

I retired from biking, sold my Aprilia Mille and replaced it with a Westfield, that Ive just sold on the forum and @AngliaWestienow owns!

Absolutely love it! Bought mine from another member on here so already built... have absolutely loved the driving and tinkering in equal measure! Been out to the track with it to which was fantastic until making a school buy fueling error (never will be made again!!). 

The thing I've noticed most is that every person this car has led me to meet has been an absolute legend! Hope you find the same!

• Like 1

Welcome from a cold and soggy Scotland .

there are quite a few that live outside and are covered in sure there are recommendations that will be put forward.

if it’s to live outside then I would advocate buying a ready built car,  that you can tinker with.

I use mine year long even staying way up here and there are some fantastic days to be had even in the depths of winter 

Good luck with your search and welcome again

Welcome, I recently did the same.  Sold a bike and my VW Van and bought a kit which Iam in the process of building.  I wouldn't have taken on the project without the garage though. 

Like you Iam itching to actually drive it and enjoy the Westfield scene!

2 hours ago, James16 said:

I dont think one will fit in my garage with the other things in there. Or must I wait until I get a car port fitted? (Its a new house so certain restrictions are in place)

a good tidy should fix that.  Westfield’s aren’t big cars so if you’re clever with the way you store things you can get a surprising amount in.  

I’ve got a large single garage but being creative I’ve managed to squeeze in two cars and a motorbike all in various states of rebuild.

Wow thanks for the warm welcome all, im flattered 🙏

5 minutes ago, Mark (smokey mow) said:

a good tidy should fix that.  Westfield’s aren’t big cars so if you’re clever with the way you store things you can get a surprising amount in.  

I’ve got a large single garage but being creative I’ve managed to squeeze in two cars and a motorbike all in various states of rebuild.

I'm of the opinion that it will fit on occasion if needed, rather than living in there, I've got 9.5'x19' to play with. But it will have a work bench across the back and the motorbike as a minimum, potentially my regular push bikes too.

1 hour ago, Benrobson2999 said:

Welcome, I recently did the same.  Sold a bike and my VW Van and bought a kit which Iam in the process of building.  I wouldn't have taken on the project without the garage though. 

Like you Iam itching to actually drive it and enjoy the Westfield scene!

I'd love to build one with my old man, long term that would be my goal, but right now finances won't allow such a task.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Gary Taylor - Scotland AO said:

Welcome from a cold and soggy Scotland .

there are quite a few that live outside and are covered in sure there are recommendations that will be put forward.

if it’s to live outside then I would advocate buying a ready built car,  that you can tinker with.

I use mine year long even staying way up here and there are some fantastic days to be had even in the depths of winter 

Good luck with your search and welcome again

I have good winter tyres for every car I've owned, infact some of the best drives i find are in winter and tyres make all the difference. It certainly won't be a summer only car.

2 hours ago, a15cro said:

I like the road you are going on @James16

I retired from biking, sold my Aprilia Mille and replaced it with a Westfield, that Ive just sold on the forum and @AngliaWestienow owns!

Absolutely love the aprilia, just heading into my 3rd year with it and I planned to swap it after 1 haha.

2 hours ago, AngliaWestie said:

Absolutely love it! Bought mine from another member on here so already built... have absolutely loved the driving and tinkering in equal measure! Been out to the track with it to which was fantastic until making a school buy fueling error (never will be made again!!). 

The thing I've noticed most is that every person this car has led me to meet has been an absolute legend! Hope you find the same!

Thats what I was hoping to hear!

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, James16 said:

Wow thanks for the warm welcome all, im flattered 🙏

I'm of the opinion that it will fit on occasion if needed, rather than living in there, I've got 9.5'x19' to play with. But it will have a work bench across the back and the motorbike as a minimum, potentially my regular push bikes too.

that's more than enough room. For motivation this is 12’x18’

6DB0958D-6EAC-425B-9BE4-305DBD005B9D.jpeg

20 minutes ago, Mark (smokey mow) said:

that's more than enough room. For motivation this is 12’x18’

6DB0958D-6EAC-425B-9BE4-305DBD005B9D.jpeg

Wow, ok I'm impressed! Maybe I could find a kind person that for coffee and bacon would park their car in my garage as a trial run haha 

• Like 1

Hi James and welcome from South Derbyshire! 

My Westfield resides in a standard single garage crammed with the detritus of family life (washing machine, tumble dryer, chest freezer, a myriad of tools, excessive amounts of car parts etc!).

I've had two Westfields, both bought not built. I've driven plenty of fast cars over the years, but no "normal" car gets close... Depending on engine you'll get bike like straight line acceleration, but the braking and cornering is on another level. 

For coffee and bacon bribery, I'm sure someone will be willing to try your garage for size... If you're the south end of Notts, I'm probably not far myself 👍

1 hour ago, RobH72 said:

Hi James and welcome from South Derbyshire! 

My Westfield resides in a standard single garage crammed with the detritus of family life (washing machine, tumble dryer, chest freezer, a myriad of tools, excessive amounts of car parts etc!).

I've had two Westfields, both bought not built. I've driven plenty of fast cars over the years, but no "normal" car gets close... Depending on engine you'll get bike like straight line acceleration, but the braking and cornering is on another level. 

For coffee and bacon bribery, I'm sure someone will be willing to try your garage for size... If you're the south end of Notts, I'm probably not far myself 👍

No normal car gets close is exactly what I'm expecting! The handling is really what I'm looking at this sort of car for, that and the endless tinkering.

I'd really like a ford engined one (I dont really car what) as deep down im a Ford guy.

I'm in Pleasley, Mansfield. 5 mins from junction 29 of the M1.

Hi James,

I don't think you can compare them with a bike.

70mph is exciting in a Westfield, not so exciting on a superbike.

If you can experience excitement at 60 - 70 win win.