7.5" Plated LSD

Brewster

Selling my 7.5" limited slip diff now I have swapped it for one with a Quaife. This is what the factory fitted to my car when it was built by them in 2014.  It's listed on the build sheet as an option the original purchaser specified and it has done 2000 miles.

I swapped it as I prefer the driving characteristics of a Quaife having become used to the one I fitted to my other car.

I called the factory to ask which manufacturer of diff they installed but they couldn't say. It definitely works though.

It does have a weep from the nearside driveshaft output, but is otherwise sealed well. I'm unsure whether a new seal could be installed without opening the case, but I understand the flanges can just be pulled from the case so this may possible.

It was a direct swap with the 7". No differences in any of the flange sizes or PCDs. Just the wider casting at the top which required a packer and a threaded bar from the factory to fit the 7". I will include the bolts that I didn't reuse for the top mount so should be a direct swap for anyone who wants an LSD.

£500 collected from either North Lincs or Richmond in London.

IMG_3913.jpeg

IMG_3914.jpeg

IMG_3916.jpeg

IMG_3918.jpeg

I'd suggest you add the diff ratio to your post. Are you sure it's plated and not a viscous?

43 minutes ago, Brewster said:

It was a direct swap with the 7". No differences in any of the flange sizes or PCDs. Just the wider casting at the top which required a packer and a threaded bar from the factory to fit the 7".

Just to be clear... this will fit a chassis made for a 7.5" and you fitted a 7" using packers.

But would I be correct in saying this 7.5" won't fit a chassis made for a 7"?

1 minute ago, Tim (TimDave25) - Joint Thames Valley AO said:

Just to be clear... this will fit a chassis made for a 7.5" and you fitted a 7" using packers.

All SEIW chassis need a spacer for a 7” AFAIK. 

So a 7.5” will fit all (recent-ish) cars - again AFAIK. 

10 minutes ago, Chris King - Webmaster said:

All SEIW chassis need a spacer for a 7” AFAIK. 

Mine might be an exception as it's an 1996 SEIW without a spacer. Back then 7" diffs were easier to come by and I think Westfield changed the chassis a number of years later to fit the 7.5".

1 minute ago, Tim (TimDave25) - Joint Thames Valley AO said:

1996 SEIW

Well I guess that’s nearly 25 years ago - so must be a “new” innovation 😁

• Haha 1

12 hours ago, Ian Kinder (Bagpuss) - Joint Peak District AO said:

I'd suggest you add the diff ratio to your post. Are you sure it's plated and not a viscous?

No idea on the ratio or what's inside other than it acts like a plated diff, locking on acceleration and deceleration and it's what the factory specced and supplied when they built the car. I called the factory to ask what they use and got told "Whatever we could get at the time."

11 hours ago, Tim (TimDave25) - Joint Thames Valley AO said:

Correct. I fitted my new 7" with a packer. This will fit any car that currently has a 7" fitted with a packer/spacer on the nearside top mount. If your car has a 7" diff with no spacer then it won't fit.

The diff ratio can be calculated, you just need to work out how many times the output shafts turn for every turn of the input.

• Like 1

Bargain! Plate LSDs are for winners!

I am itching to get a stanley blade and slice that excess sealant off

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

18 hours ago, John said:

I am itching to get a stanley blade and slice that excess sealant off

Even better - a thumbnail. Very satisfying.

Just me?

So far we've discerned that it's a limited slip diff. It could be plated, but might be viscous. It works on both acceleration and deceleration. It has a weep from the nearside output. It is 7.5" and will fit most post 96 Westfields.

Surely someone wants it for £400? If not I'll get it rebuilt, find out exactly what it is in the process and put it up for twice as much.

• Like 1

For the price of some rtv and a litre of oil I'd whip the cover off and have a peek what's inside. Might get you a better price and easier sell if people know what their getting.

• Like 1

I second that.. also...

1. If you post it you have to drain the oil anyway.

2. Anyone who buys a second hand diff should put new oil in just to be sure.

• Like 1

Whoever buys it is going to have to know what type of plate diff it is, as unlike sealed Viscous diffs and Quaife ATB's, plate diffs do need special LSD oils.

• Like 1

Important Information

Please review our Terms of Use, Guidelines and Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.