What for those modifications - MT75 gearbox ?

Andrzej

When I was disconecting the engine and gearbox, was completly new to the Westfield, I thought that it is dont know  - factory or other common modification. 

Just bolted all together after engine repair, all as was prevoulsy, driving this seasson and hal of previous, no issues with clutch.

Now I am going to change the flywheel and clutch from Zetec 240 to pinto 215mm and wonder what for in fact are those modifications ???  ? why previous owners was doing those all welding ?? I have read that longer clutch arm pin is used instead of modified clutch bearing. But what for those arm relase modification? any ideas ? Maybe it was to avoid sticking the relase arm below the car floor?  

Should I leave this arm or use the standard one - with the pinto type clutch ?

(maybe it is the question for other topic - what is needed for the change from Zetec to Pinto Clutch and clutch cover ).

IMG_20190614_181742831.jpg

IMG_20190614_121150323.jpg

IMG_20190614_121200440.jpg

IMG_20190614_121218738.jpg

IMG_20190614_121117369.jpg

IMG_20190614_121125725.jpg

Chris King - Webmaster

Never seen anything like that before - although I have heard of people doing modifications to the clutch release arm.

Usually it’s a modified bearing that’s fitted to MT75 boxes. 

Are you sticking with the MT75 or upgrading?

The plan is to use a secondand MT75 as a donor for case etc but with dog engaging, no synchro internals straight cut gears. with calculated ratios. And reinforced , more precise gear lever. 

So the bellhousing part will be the same as mine current. 

Chris King - Webmaster
8 hours ago, Andrzej said:

dog engaging, no synchro internals straight cut gears

Didn’t realise this was available in the MT75 box. But personally I’d be using an less “bodged” looking clutch arm setup. 

That is why I wonder what was the purpose of all those cuting and welding …  why they did not use std relase arm. maybe the ground clearane was the issue ?

As for the gearbox - It is not available yet as far as I know . It is going to be made fore this car by the company here in Poland that makes such dog internals for different boxes , they have good reputation from the national hillclimb and rally teams, so maybe it is a Chance they do it right. This is a plan, so not sure yet about the results, but hoping to be good. 

Chris King - Webmaster
1 minute ago, Andrzej said:

maybe the ground clearane was the issue ?

Can’t see how it would get in the way - maybe previous owner had a welder and wanted to use it 😁

For some reason with the zetec/MT75 combination there is a gap of 10mm+ between

the release bearing face and the pressure plate,which has to be overcome by various methods.