Ford Diffs

Brewster

4 hours ago, Brewster said:

Seems like a few people have gone the helicoil route then. I guess I'm just worried with all the torque of the car being applied against 4 helicoils. Mind you, it's only a VTEC. Could just tie-wrap it in.

I did approx 1000km of track only driving, not much powerfull - 211HP , 224Nm engine, but with LSD in the diff and wide sticky rear slick tyres (almost all trackdays warm or hot so rather lot of grip). The bolts - 10.8 grade. The thread on bolts looks ok (I was looking at it, because first few helicoils I mounted myself learing was destroying the thread on bolt) 

Yesterday was unbolting the diff and all was tight, I made color marks with paint on the bolts when installing the diff, marks was in the right places. No cracks in the housing etc. So looks like it is very good modification! at least for the person who is installing or removing the diff :) 

It is still not very easy but much easier . If I can suggest something - the bolt close to T-joint of brake pipes better be with smaller head or of the allen screw type. 

More I am worried about the bushes in the chassis - what if there will be the need for change those front bushes, not too much room for this :-/ 

And when it comes to differences 7 or 7 1/2 Sierra diff I was using this website to learn abou those differentials:

http://www.super7thheaven.co.uk/components/sierra_rear_differential/