Ford Diffs

Brewster

Hi Guys,

I'm in the process of swapping out the diff on my Mega S2000. I was told I had a Sierra 7" diff case so when a rebuilt one with a Quaife appeared for sale on here I thought it would be an easy swap rather than waiting for mine to be rebuilt.

Putting aside the fact that getting to it was a nightmare I finally have my diff out on the workshop floor and it's slightly different to the replacement I bought. I'm now thinking the original diff must be a 7&1/2" casing, but I know very little about these. I've attached some photos. Original diff is on the right and new replacement on the left.

So, a couple of questions;

1) Are they different differential casings?

2) It looks like I can make the replacement fit just using some packings between the diff and the mounts. Is this possible and if so is it a bad idea?

Cheers,

Brewster

IMG_3907.jpeg

IMG_3908.jpeg

IMG_3909.jpeg

Steve (sdh2903)

Will be fine. If using a 7" diff you need a spacer or washers at the upper left mount like in the pic below. It's across that point where the casings are measured. difffixed.jpg.d8843aa94e98e5cddf48f1aaed2d2869.jpg

Cheers. Looks like I need a long bolt or bit of stud for the top too. Anyone know someone who supplies new?

Sorted! Didn't think to ask the parts dept, but called them and they had the stud and spacer on the shelf. Hopefully winging their way to me tomorrow.

• Like 2
Steve (sdh2903)

Sounds like your sorted now but Theres also the option to helicoil the diff and just use 4 m12 bolts aswell. Makes it easier for removal/refit. 

Ah! I didn't think of that. I don't have a helicoil set that large, but if I struggle getting the stud in (brake pipes in the way and I hate hydraulics so avoid splitting and nearly all costs) then I might look at going that way. I guess I'd still need the spacer though. I'm just a bit nervous given the twisting forces going through it and the strength of helicoils and a stack of washers.

I was also advised here on the Forum, to put the helicoils (M12x1,75 exatctly - on ebay etc ) in the diff mounting holes  . I was just yestarday removing the differential the second time. A lot easier with helicoils in the diff and 4 bolts , than first time with 2 long studs. 

• Like 1

Have you checked the driveshafts will bolt up ok?

7 1/2 inch diffs usually have a bigger lobro,108mm diameter iirc🤔

7 inch diffs use a 100mm diameter

Ian Kinder (Bagpuss) - Joint Peak District AO
17 minutes ago, CosKev said:

Have you checked the driveshafts will bolt up ok?

7 1/2 inch diffs usually have a bigger lobro,108mm PCD iirc🤔

7 inch diffs use a 100mm PCD

A quick PS, suggests he should be okay!

image.png.52f817b36f5ec751f95d6aff4c2f53e0.png

• Like 1

My 7 inch diff has a flange diameter of 98mm and PCD of 85mm

Steve

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Steve20 said:

My 7 inch diff has a flange diameter of 98mm and PCD of 85mm

Steve

Yeah diameter sorry,not PCD🤦‍♂️

Seems like a few people have gone the helicoil route then. I guess I'm just worried with all the torque of the car being applied against 4 helicoils. Mind you, it's only a VTEC. Could just tie-wrap it in.

Steve (sdh2903)

I actually think it's a better way of mounting as your actually using the diff in a stressed mount rather than just hanging it on the studs and squeezing it between the mounts. 

Ah its a honda engine. Maybe just velcro will do :ph34r:

• Haha 2
Terry Everall - WSCC Competition Secretary

Helicoil is the best route and will take all the power you have!!