Full weather gear Hood extrusion alternative

Bandageman

Bandageman

Ok, I’ve just picked up my Westie, but the full weather gear hood plastic extrusion at the front of the hood was snapped in the middle when I got it. Was thinking about replacing to make good but have been advised that it’s a known fault and will probably just break again. At £50 it’s a lot of money to keep shelling out. A couple of owners I’ve spoken to say they’ve replaced this plastic Extrusion channel with press studs along windscreen on outside, which makes  more sense and seems sturdier.

Question I’ve got is: has anyone else done this, and if so how many press studs have you used. I’m thinking I’ll need 5 in addition to the 2 at the edge of the screen.

also, I have minor concerns about drilling into the frame. How close is the glass to the edge of the frame, or am I Just being over cautious?

Barnsley John

I had this problem years ago with rhe plastic channel 

To start with i had a center screw hole in top of windscreen surround  i think it had a 5 mm threaded hole so wat i did was to make a thin aloy plate about 2 inch long by about 1 inch with a 5 mm hole then put that loosley on to windscreen at top 

Fitted the plastic chanell over windscreen top then clamped the new plate to hold were the chanell was split this worked i also ysed a 5 mm wing nut so no tools required

This was the simplist job but its also been done by making your own new chanell  and press  studs  

Just a thought going back in time is the original chanell spit so when you fold the roof up probabbly to put in boot it folds over on top of itself were the slit is so futs perfectly into boot

It was 10 year ago scince i did this good luck

Gary Taylor - Scotland AO

There are a couple of ideas used like @Barnsley John one I’ve got the same issue and have a piece of J aluminium extrusion to go over the top edge then a hole over the threaded hole and a GoPro bolt is the perfect size complete with the plastic bit so no tools needed .

I wouldn’t be keen on drilling either

Bandageman

Thanks for ideas guys. Interesting point John re folding channel. Hood is in boot just now so need to check how it’s folded. Have fabricated an aluminium sleeve to go over channel, but was looking at other options. An alloy plate with wing nut is another if hole is threaded.

Re GoPro bolt Gary, not really sure what that is, but open to suggestions. Possibly meet up sometime at the weekend to view, but I’ve got all winter to consider options, so all are really helpful.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Bandageman said:

Thanks for ideas guys. Interesting point John re folding channel. Hood is in boot just now so need to check how it’s folded. Have fabricated an aluminium sleeve to go over channel, but was looking at other options. An alloy plate with wing nut is another if hole is threaded.

Re GoPro bolt Gary, not really sure what that is, but open to suggestions. Possibly meet up sometime at the weekend to view, but I’ve got all winter to consider options, so all are really helpful.

GoPro, sports video camera they have heeps of attachments and I’ve got a pile of spare bolts

we’ll try and get a run out say next weekend if the weather plays and I’ll take a couple for you, just now you probably have a little bayonet fitting poking rearwards where the channel is split  This unscrews allowing the bolt To screw in

GaryH

Hi, 

I did roughly the same as has been written above, but I araldited the reinforcing strip to the plastic channel and smoothed it down to avoid pressure points or sharp edges on the hood fabric. I've also replaced the centre bolt with a lift dot pin, and added a strip of webbing to the hood (similar to what Tristan at softbits uses on his hoods) with the corresponding fitting to help hold the the hood in place. It's lasted a couple of winters now.

Gary

Dave (OnliestSmeg) -  Manchester AO

For years I had no problems, with careful handling and careful rolling of hood. Until some ham-fisted #### decided to help me one day!!!  

I also went with ally reinforcement araldited to extrusion- no issues since.

Bandageman

Cabin side of windscreen doesn’t have  the bayonet fitting you mention Gary, just a raised hole As per pic. Need to check if there’s a screw fitting it.

38AF8201-5D87-43A0-9427-37CD9BDEDCEF.jpeg

Just now, Bandageman said:

Cabin side of windscreen doesn’t have  the bayonet fitting you mention Gary, just a raised hole As per pic. Need to check if there’s a screw fitting it.

38AF8201-5D87-43A0-9427-37CD9BDEDCEF.jpeg

Yep that’s it

Bandageman

Great Gary thanks. Next Sunday sounds good (I’m working Saturday) if you’re available and weather permitting.

• Like 1
corsechris

I was always suspicious of the centre part of that channel so when we converted from old style to new style screen and roof I made up a strengthening piece from some thin stainless sheet. It matches the profile of the tube and fits snugly over it, and has the same notch to lock over the stud that screws in the back edge to hold the middle down. Not had any problems with that setup for many years now.

No way is the plastic channel up to the task as it is supplied.

The old style screen had the row of fixings along the outer face. I can't recall now if they were press studs or lit-the-dot type - anyone?

Bandageman

Hi Corsechris. That’s exactly what I’ve spent this afternoon doing. U shaped aluminium (from an old cooker hood flue cover - wife says I can’t throw anything out😬) with a hole cut for screw to fit over the Centre piece. I need to wait for paint to cure to test it out and check final adjustment.

• Like 2
Barnsley John

B abd q did a white plastic chanell  this was more flexible to make your own instead of alloy