Electric / gauge help

Jimbohuc

I’m patching together my Westfield having acquired it partially disassembled. I have wired in the fuel, WT, OP gauges but for some reason the gauges are going to the max position. The gauge instructions don’t show a resister or voltage balancer. Have I been stupid and missed something? I have never seen them work, so it could be that they are knackered and need replacing?

Ian Kinder (Bagpuss) - Joint Peak District AO
35 minutes ago, Jimbohuc said:

I’m patching together my Westfield having acquired it partially disassembled. I have wired in the fuel, WT, OP gauges but for some reason the gauges are going to the max position. The gauge instructions don’t show a resister or voltage balancer. Have I been stupid and missed something? I have never seen them work, so it could be that they are knackered and need replacing?

Really need more details of what gauges and what senders, to advise further, sorry.

The fuel sender normally reads circa 10 Ohms to ground when the tank is empty and circa 180 ohms when full. Do you have a multimeter to check with.

Thanks for the responses, finally got back into the garage this evening. They are ETB gauges and have now resolved the problem... I think. 

Looks like the previous owner had wired them in backwards, (Having bought the car as a non runner) I presumed that they were wired correctly...

I’ve swapped them over and the fuel gauge now moves a plausible amount. Will add some More  fuel tomorrow and start it, hopefully the water and oil move!

Jim

• Like 1
GaryD1971

I had the same issue with my gauges. The original builder had wired them up the wrong way round and they all showed max when the ignition was switched on. Soon sorted though. Glad you sussed it out.