Front light wiring - break points

IainCameron

IainCameron

I'm about to fit and wire-up my head lights and indicators (onto my FW nose) and also my cycle-wing repeaters, and given that my wiring loom goes left-side-first around the engine bay (Pinto), the lighting wire tails are all over the place (except the right place).  

I'd be interested to hear the consensus of opinion over where people make the break-points in the wiring connections... I'm going to have to extend the wires from the lights and the in loom, so I might as well make the break points somewhere sensible to meet IVA, protect from the weather and make disconnection as simple as possible when I want to remove the nose or wings.

Any advice gratefully received, as ever!

TableLeg

I cant help you with the specifics of where to make a joint but what I would say is try to make it in a straight bit of cable that can be well supported and not subject to a lot of movement.

If you solder the wires then use 'adhesive lined' heatshrink to cover the joint and offset the cuts so you don't have all the joints at the same point as this can increase the diameter of the wiring at the section. This may or may not be an issue depending on the available space around the loom.

• Like 1
Ian Kinder (Bagpuss) - Joint Peak District AO

Hi @IainCameron I'm not clear on why you need to join the wires. Can't you just use econseal connectors to extend the existing loom plugs to where you need them to be? The Only IVA requirement will be that they are clipped regularily to the chassis and not run against any moving parts etc. 

Some pics of the issue may help, me to understand.

IainCameron
1 hour ago, Ian Kinder (Bagpuss) - Joint Peak District AO said:

I'm not clear on why you need to join the wires

Thanks Ian...  here's an example: the tails on the indicator repeaters are about 150mm long, so if I don't extend these wires (by soldering and heat-shrinking) I would have to have an econoseal connector between the tyre and cycle wing.  Added to this snagette is the fact that the main loom indicator repeater tails won't reach anywhere near the ends of the indicator tails as they are, so I'll have to extend the loom tails as well (or instead of).   

Really, my question is; where is the best place to have the econoseal connector, for ease of use as well as weather/stone protection, bearing in mind that I will need to remove the cycle wings to get the wheels off given the wrap-around effect that I've got with my cycle wings.  I could have the connector within the body of the car, but that would mean a lot of cable ties to remove before the cycle wing can be removed, or I could have it somewhere between the body and the wing, but it risks looking out of place.  Just looking for opinions about what works best really!

Ahah, that's clearer. My nose is a ZK, so I put the connectors just inside the nose for the cycle wings repeaters and fastened the connectors to the loom with velcro strips to make it easier to disconnect if ever needed. The econseal connectors are weatherproof if used correctly and make sure you fit blanking pins in any unused ways. I'd also used contralube or similar on the connectors to keep moisture at bay too. Not that any should get in.

• Thanks 1
IainCameron

Whilst we're on the subject of connectors... I've bought some aftermarket headlights which don't have any connectors attached, and my loom has headlight connectors which look a bit like this:

1434709703_headlightconnector.jpg.ad1c10687475a5739f584b56b1d42788.jpg

I can't find any matching connectors, so I'm assuming it will be ok to snip them off and fit some 12A Econoseal jobbies?  Any reason why this isn't such a good idea, before I get the snips out?  And if it's best to retain these, any idea where I can get the male ends?

I think the connectors you are trying to find are these;

0B2F8324-918C-4716-AC01-CAC8A501EA7E.thumb.png.c219e79ebdbc7e77ebde93d78ab27474.png

I found these in the durite catalogue if thats any use 👍🏼

• Thanks 1

Cut them off. My loom came with these too. The econseal are much better.

• Thanks 1